When POST data goes bad...

MacRankin

Hey everybody :)

I'm still learning the basics of php -- again. :rolleyes:

Came across this really interesting tutorial showing how to stop peeps from having their login info snatched by a nasty cross-script...

A user, logged into your website, visits another website during his session. This website will be able to send POST data to your website -- for example, with AJAX. Because the user is logged in on your site, the other website will also be able to send post data to secured forms that are only accessible after a login.

http:// net. tutsplus .com/tutorials/php/secure-your-forms-with-form-keys/ (remove spaces)

I'm not going to attempt having a go at this tut, mostly because I'm trying to remember what I've learned so far.

Incidentally, if anyone's interested, I've been reading the pdf version of PHP Solutions by David Powers, and have been diligently creating extra notes -- just in case I lose them again, and if anyone would like a copy of my notes of chapter 3, I'd be glad to pm or post them here, whatever is ok with the admin, though I'm not altogether sure if I can re-create them with the same annotations as mine. :)

I must admit, I thought it would be unusual for someone to, have say, their paypal account open in one tab and some dodgy-looking website in another.

I do very much want to go through your vid tutorials, and I will -- at a later stage, but only after I've tried to understand things by the book.

It takes me an awful long time for things to sink in, and simply watching a video (for me) isn't going to cut it. A book, on the other hand won't either, but at least it will allow me think about what I do like, what I don't understand, what looks to be useless code, and generally get a real feel for what I'm looking at.

Just for curiosity, I looked at the start of a 'day of' series of learning vids for php. Man, that guy teaching was all over the place in terms of explaining things clearly. This kind of video tutorial is great for someone to see what it's all about, but I just wouldn't / couldn't have the patience to go through his video tuts -- it'd drive me nuts!

...Whereas I will with your videos, simply because I know they will aid me in my memory and revision, and also (from watching some of your stuff already) I know that I will get quality in my understanding of php where it matters. :cool: