Div's Or?

Kervtuza

Yes, header and nav tags will eliminate the need for those divs. I wouldn't say there's a big pro or con to either, since they ultimately do the same thing, but using the HTML5 elements makes your code a bit more semantic, and possibly cleaner since you can refer directly to the nav or header without the need for an id.

As KevinC said above, make sure you include the HTML5 shiv to provide support for older browsers, and you should be fine.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use a neat little hack for older browsers to see the newer html5 tags (It works pretty good for the most part).

In your css stylesheet put this at the top.

body, header, hgroup, nav, article, section, footer {
display: block;	
}

Then I created a javascript, (actually I use an external file and I know I am missing some tags(elements))

<!--[if lt IE 9]>
<script type="text/javascript">	document.createElement('header');
document.createElement('section');
document.createElement('nav');
document.createElement('aside');
document.createElement('article');
document.createElement('footer');
document.createElement('hgroup');
</script>
<![endif]-->

There's even external javascript scripts on the web that do the same thing (maybe even a little better); however, I having tested this with IETester and for the most part it does a pretty good job.

John

This is wrong, The html tags you declared blocked are already block by default. You declare them just to make sure.

To make sure that the html5 tags work in IE 7 and 8 and 9 put this in the head because older IE does not recognize the new html5 tags and can display wrong.

<!--[if lt IE 9]>
<script src="http://html5shiv.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>
<![endif]-->

I am not saying your javascript is wrong. Just that html5 tags are block by default.

What this is doing is checking to see if the browser is IE 9 or less. In the code [if lt IE 9] the lt is a lowercase L not an uppercase i. Stands for less then.

Also a very good reference to see what browsers support what is http://caniuse.com/ just click on one of the topics and it will take you to a link with a table that tells you the browser support. This site will also let you know if you need a prefix for css like -webkit- and so on.

Edited by grabenair