Wordpress Excerpt on External page.

JohnX

I've been trying to implement the excerpt function from WordPress to put news updates/summary's from my blog on to my non WordPress index.php page.

Even after reading through most of the WordPress documentation I still can't see how to do this :(!?.

It seems like I would have to just point to the news summary on my index.php page.. but I've been trying to understand functions such as The_Content().. and have been having no luck. Can anyone on here help me out with a bit of a step by step process on how to do this?

Thank you for your time.

-John.F

I'm not sure how you would do that using Wordpress functions... You could, however, use PHP to parse RSS feed that Wordpress generates and display it in your page. I did a couple screencasts on doing this called "Use PHP, jQuery & AJAX to Load XML Data". It's available in the KillerSites University (http://www.killersites.com/university/ - subscription required) within the PHP > Misc PHP Videos section.

If I remember correctly, I use PHP and SimpleXML (http://www.php.net/manual/en/simplexml.examples-basic.php) to parse the data in the RSS feed and display it on the page.

I believe Stephen also mentioned parsing RSS feeds when displaying the posts on an external page. Do you remember exactly what your tutorial video was called in the Killersite University? There's just so many videos to go through I don't want to be on the wrong track..

sounds like I'm close though, and you definitely know what I'm talking about so that makes me happy. I'm thinking once you let me know of the tutorial you did I will actually sign up for the program, definitely seems worth it. Also, your PHP/SimpleXML link appears to be broken.. :(

Here's the link (it looks like the forum thought the ")" was part of a link: http://us3.php.net/manual/en/simplexml.examples-basic.php

I did a two part series called "Use PHP, jQuery & AJAX to Load XML Data" that's within the PHP > Misc PHP Videos section. My source files are also included. It covers how to parse an RSS feed (in the video, I use this forum's RSS feed) and display the data on the page. Because parsing the RSS feed may take a second or two, I also cover how to use jQuery/AJAX to load and display the data after the page is loaded so it doesn't slow down the page appearing for the visitor.

I'm pretty active on this forum, so if you follow along with the videos and run into issues, you can always post your questions or PM them to me directly.

• 1 year later...