Utter Newbie Seeks guidance.

Guest Neelix

Guest Neelix

OK here we go.

Hi everybody, firstly GREAT SITE.. been checking it out for about an hour.

Quick run down on my situation. I have not worked for over 10 years due to ill health which i am now (thankfully) free from. So i emerge from the sanitised world of the hospital to find the economy in chaos and my CV severely lacking ANY way of forcing my toe through the door especially in these hard times.

I have some experience of IT, back in 1989 i was working as a junior programmer for a database marketing company (dont hate me) learning as i went with no qualifications.

I have decided that web design is the area that i would like to develop my skills in with an aim to getting back to work, as there seem to be a few opportunities in this area. However, i have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER where to start. A local training company offer courses in HTML, Dreamweaver and Frontpage. Should i aim for one (or more) of these, or should i be thinking of starting somewhere else?

Any suggestions will be great,, and i wont be looking to sue anyone should i take their advice and NOT get a job ;) honestly,, just some pointers would be fantastic.

In the meantime i will browse the site a little more once i've got a cup of tea, and i wish anyone reading this a great day.

Neelix.

Here is a thread about Where to learn web design. Avoid any school that offers to teach Front Page if you're interested in learning web design. Not only was FrontPage a web editor that wrote very messy code, it's not even supported any more. Even M$ discovered it needed something else :rolleyes:

This thread: The Business of Webdesign also has some great information, and then there is Killersites: The Business of Webdesign.