Webdesign1 Course Issue

agathalatham

Hi! I really enjoy the course but there is a little problem i am struggling with:

the video 11 and 12 where i have to make the links link each other correctly

I have a problem to link Products, CSS and Tables (all the linking with the home page and vicebersa works perfect) but then

the other links some of then work and when i want to go back they wont work.

It does not say in the video but, would i need to modify the index.html file might as well?

If i need to post my notepad file i would love to do it so it can help you guys help me.

It is important to me to have everything ok so it encourages me to go ahead and buy more courses from you in my way to learn webdesign.

Thank you.

Maria Latham

Yeah, they are all created on my desktop and created the folders as indicated on the video.

I will send you the 4 notepads files I did following up the videos tutorial.

index.html

productList.html

css.html

tables_tutorial.html

Something curious: when he tries to prove the links working , it works ok on mines too, but i was trying by my own to link being in "products" page and then jump to "tables tutorial" (which does not work and he does not try on the video). To sum up all the links work perfect but to jump TO "TABLES TUTORIAL PAGE" example: If i am at the "products" page and want to click in "tables tutorial" link it wont work. If i open manually the file "tables tutorial page" you know (click on the cssTutorial<tableTutorial folders) and then want to jump "TO THE REST OF THE PAGES" then it works perfect.

Are they not supposed to be working that way yet? or what am i doing wrong?. Please need help.

Thanks Maria

You have a path issue.

Index, productionList, and tables_tutorial are all in the same folder, so to get around amongst those, all you need is:

<ul>
 <li><a href="index.html">Home</a></li>
 	<li><a href="productList.html">Products</a></li>
  	<li>Tables Tutorial</li>
 </ul>

However, css.html is in a subfolder (cssTutorial). So to get to css.html from any of the other three files, you need:

<li><a href="cssTutorial/css.html">CSS</a></li>

Now, if you are on css.html, which is the file in the subfolder, so kind of one level deeper than the other files, in order to get to index.html, for example, we have to go 'up' a level:

<li><a href="../index.html">Home</a></li>

I look at the '..' as 'up' and the '/' is 'level'.

So to sum it up: the navigation on your pages index.html, productList.html, and tables_tutorial.html needs to be like this:

<ul>
 <li>Home</li>
    	<li><a href="productList.html">Products</a></li>
    	<li><a href="tables_tutorial.html">Tables Tutorial</a></li>
 </ul>

(example for home page - of course on productList.html, you'll have:

<ul>
 <li><a href="index.html">Home</a></li>
    	<li>Products</li>
    	<li><a href="tables_tutorial.html">Tables Tutorial</a></li>
 </ul>

But on the file css.html, which sits in a level BELOW all the other files, the navigation has to look like this:

<ul>
    	<li><a href="../index.html">Home</a></li>
    	<li><a href="../productList.html">Products</a></li>
    	<li>CSS</li>
    	<li><a href="../tables_tutorial.html">Tables Tutorial</a></li>
 </ul>

Your mistake is on tablesTutorial, where you have:

<ul>
 <li><a href="../../index.html">Home</a></li>
    	<li><a href="../../productList.html">Products</a></li>
    	<li><a href="../css.html">CSS</a></li>
    	<li>Tables Tutorial</li>
 </ul>

so technically, even to tablesTutorial, index, andprodutList are all on the same level, your code reaches up TWO levels .... and that's two too many.

Hope this helps.

Ok, wasn't aware of that.

So, applying the above logic, the path from index to tables_tutorial needs to be:

<a href="cssTutorial/tablesTutorials/tables_tutorial.html">Tables Tutorial</a> (down one more level)

The path from css.html to tables_tutorial.html:

<a href="tablesTutorials/tables_tutorial.html">Tables Tutorial</a> (down one more level)

and from tables_tutorial to index and css.html:

<a href="../../index.html">Home</a> (up two)

<a href="../css.html">CSS</a> (up one)

Andrea, thank you so so much for your patience and for really helping me! everything worked just perfect!

As it was not detailed on the video, i was struggling just guessing :(. I have no knowledgements on webdesign at all, so that's why made me being confused on this issue.

I am learning really good now!! thank you Andrea! and thanks killersites.com!

Maria Latham