Internet Explorer IE8 RTM

Wickham

Internet Explorer IE8 RTM is available here:-

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/

It's better than IE7 but there are still lots of problems.

I haven't downloaded IE8 yet but I remember there was some kind of meta tag that you can insert into your web page to tell IE8 to render IE7. Is this still the case? If so, I am going to slap in that meta tag on all the sites I have done because of the problems with IE8.

Thanks.

I haven't downloaded IE8 yet but I remember there was some kind of meta tag that you can insert into your web page to tell IE8 to render IE7. Is this still the case? If so, I am going to slap in that meta tag on all the sites I have done because of the problems with IE8.

Thanks.

It's this:-

You must put it immediately after the

tag, lower down the head section it may not work, especially if after css links.

I needed it for IE8 beta 2 because that was so bad, but I found that IE8 RC1 was OK so I removed it from some of my pages, so I probably can't check now because the pages are OK in IE8.

However, there's no harm in putting it in, browsers, even IE8, will just ignore it if they don't understand it. I read a post which said it was likely to be just a temporary code and not operating in the final version, but that may have been just a rumour.

The compatibility mode is still there for the viewer to use, but I agree it's better to code the emulation into the web page so that viewers don't get a jumbled page first.

I've just found this on a microsoft forum:-

I use the following meta header so IE8 will emulate IE7:

This worked fine in IE8 Beta 2, but it stopped working in IE8 RC1.

Has anyone else noticed this?

No one has replied to the post yet. The following link is so long, I'm not sure that it will work!

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta&tid=e6a51925-6a83-49fb-b53d-dba8033b966f&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=en-us&p=1

Edit: There's another post with several answers which imply that the emulation code is working in IE8 RC1 but the situation with the latest IE8 RTM is still unanswered.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta&tid=4af9fb7c-3825-4139-adc3-f45bb43e5557&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=en-us&p=1

Edited by Wickham