Div & Span Tags

lbear

In the course Building a Website: Part 5, I am inserting the following code with <div> and <span class> but the <div> creates an extra white space above the tagged area and the span class does not appear bolded in HTML. I am using Bluefish and viewing in Firefox.

<p>

If you want to learn webdesign <span class="makeBold"> you have come to the right place </span> here is a list

of the items and lets keep writing stuff to see what happens so that we understand the

difference between a div tag and span tag. <div> Going to keep writing to see if this breaks </div> or just keeps

going on and on and on

</p>

HTML View: (As you can see the white space above "Going" and the <span class inserted is not appearing in BOLD. Anyone have any feedback regarding what is causing this?

If you want to learn webdesign you have come to the right place here is a list of the items and lets keep writing stuff to see what happens so that we understand the difference between a div tag and span tag.

Going to keep writing to see if this breaks

or just keeps going on and on and on

Hello and thanks for the training! Excited to be here! I think I'm in a div? My other code above these lines should follow suite...

<div id="centerdoc">

<h3>THE PLACE TO LEARN WEBDESIGN!</h3>

<p>If you want to learn webdesign you have come to the right place</p>

<h3>THE PLACE TO LEARN WEBDESIGN!</h3>

<p>

If you want to learn webdesign <span class="makeBold"> you have come to the right place </span> here is a list

of the items and lets keep writing stuff to see what happens so that we understand the

difference between a div tag and span tag. <div> Going to keep writing to see if this breaks </div> or just keeps

going on and on and on </p>

<h3> XXX THE PLACE TO LEARN WEBDESIGN!</h3>

</div>

1342590423[/url]' post='33067']

yay! No spaces...I think I'm good on that.

Thanks again I'm sure I will be back for more genius ;-)

He didn't say anything about spaces, he said to not put div tags inside p tags.

Hello Andrea,

That is my mother's name. I was trying to accomplish a break in the sentence without it causing a space with the div tag. I was trying to follow the training video closely on this and that is what prompted the question. Maybe it easier to use a <br> tag?

Thanks for the feedback.

1342743192[/url]' post='33085']

Hello Andrea,

That is my mother's name. I was trying to accomplish a break in the sentence without it causing a space with the div tag. I was trying to follow the training video closely on this and that is what prompted the question. Maybe it easier to use a <br> tag?

Thanks for the feedback.

The br tag would be the correct tag for a line break.