User defined site

cm8

Hello all, this is my first post.

I wanted to know if anyone can help me, I have an upcoming project that entails a site where the users can upload images and create their own listings or classifieds. Although I will be able to the UI, I need help with how to make this work. I'm not sure if I will need a database. Can someone please assist me on what would be the most practical use on creating this site.

Your best bet would be to find an existing classifieds script that hopefully has 99% of the functionality you need, and then the remaining work is mostly just HTML and CSS editing/styling. For example, see http://www.hotscripts.com/category/scripts/php/scripts-programs/classified-ads/

If you want to do it from scratch, you can, but it's going to be a significant amount of work requiring pretty extensive knowledge of PHP, MySQL, HTML and CSS. My tutorial series on "PHP Login Using OOP & MVC" might be helpful, since that would give you the basic user login functionality you need, and you could build from there. Those videos are available within the PHP Projects package (http://killervideostore.com/video-courses/php-projects.php) or to subscribers of the KillerSites University (http://www.killersitesuniversity.com/courses -- "PHP Login with OOP and MVC" course).

Your best bet would be to find an existing classifieds script that hopefully has 99% of the functionality you need, and then the remaining work is mostly just HTML and CSS editing/styling. For example, see http://www.hotscripts.com/category/scripts/php/scripts-programs/classified-ads/

If you want to do it from scratch, you can, but it's going to be a significant amount of work requiring pretty extensive knowledge of PHP, MySQL, HTML and CSS. My tutorial series on "PHP Login Using OOP & MVC" might be helpful, since that would give you the basic user login functionality you need, and you could build from there. Those videos are available within the PHP Projects package (http://killervideostore.com/video-courses/php-projects.php) or to subscribers of the KillerSites University (http://www.killersitesuniversity.com/courses -- "PHP Login with OOP and MVC" course).

Thank you Ben for the quick reply. I am going to look into your first option, I am proficient in HTML and CSS and have some familiarity with MySQL. I can't say I would be able to do it from scratch though. Are these the only available options? If so would I be able to integrate it with flash? I plan on doing 2 versions of the site (mobile and desktop).

"Are these the only available options?"

I would think so? You can build it from scratch, or you can build it based on existing code... I don't think there are any other options. if you're talking about other options for downloadable scripts, I imagine you can find more by searching for "PHP Classified script" or similar. But Hotscripts has 500+ options there for you, so I imagine you may be able to find something that will work for you.

You may be able to find classified systems built in other languages, but I highly doubt you will find one that's built entirely in Flash.

If so would I be able to integrate it with flash?

Why Flash? Why don't you create a site that will work fine for both mobile and desktop, and avoid doing twice as much effort? What does Flash have that you can't do with Javascript? Unless you are a specific niche site, like for example a video game or movie website, I tend to discourage people from using Flash. Javascript can do a lot of the animation and basic stuff that Flash was originally used for, and with Flash not being supported on iPhones/iPods/iPads and most new Android tablets, it's really losing a lot of its popularity.

I would think so? You can build it from scratch, or you can build it based on existing code... I don't think there are any other options. if you're talking about other options for downloadable scripts, I imagine you can find more by searching for "PHP Classified script" or similar. But Hotscripts has 500+ options there for you, so I imagine you may be able to find something that will work for you.

You may be able to find classified systems built in other languages, but I highly doubt you will find one that's built entirely in Flash.

Why Flash? Why don't you create a site that will work fine for both mobile and desktop, and avoid doing twice as much effort? What does Flash have that you can't do with Javascript? Unless you are a specific niche site, like for example a video game or movie website, I tend to discourage people from using Flash. Javascript can do a lot of the animation and basic stuff that Flash was originally used for, and with Flash not being supported on iPhones/iPods/iPads and most new Android tablets, it's really losing a lot of its popularity.

I agree with you 100%, unfortunately I am one that learned AS3 before Javascript. They are very similar but because I learned it the other way around I'm more fluent with AS3. I am just getting accustomed to Javascript, I'm not fluent in it. I must agree with you though, Javascript and HTML 5 is the way to go. I will try to apply your advice and take that route.

I want to thank you Ben for your time and guidance