I Need A Couple Of Questions Answered Please

nathanchilds

Ok so here i am i have gone through and just finished making my directories exactly as shown now i think i have this all correct but i just want to make sure of something i will also put my link codes in below but first now lets say i was in tables directory(I named all my files basically the same as it just seemed easier whilst being taught what to do) now the problem im getting is ok i can go to some sites but then with out using the back button i cant click through the sites say up sites till i get to home then clicking back through to get back to the page i was on to start with. The only way i can do it is by pressing the back button this does not seem correct as i was able to click through then back before a built the directories folders so i think i have made a mistake i have tried to follow the videos to clarrify and it seems to be right but i would like a second/third opinion please thank you here are my link tags below,

INDEX/

Home

Products

CSS

Tables Tutorial

PRODUCTS/

Home

Products

CSS

Tables Tutorial

CSS/

Home

Products

CSS

Tables Tutorial

TABLES TUTORIAL/

Home

Products

CSS

Tables Tutorial

Now just to help you i have css.html in cssTutorials folder then inside cssTutorials i have tables_tutorial inside that is tablesTutorial.html file then i have an image folder(EMPTY) on desktop next to index.html and product.html is next to index please help me thank you kindly........Nathan.

SORRY one more thing that no matter what i do the Root.css will not work when i got to see it for real in either mozilla or i.e none of them work the text does not get reduced nor does the colour

i started a new text document and i called it ROOT.css as this is what was shown so like before i figured just for now i will do the same but nothing and yes i uploaded the root file to web project folder i have watched again this video ffwd and the rewind, play through, check it and it all looks fine to me i then tried to do it using rich text document and still it never worked

im putting the following in the rootfile,

p {

width 80%; (i even tried the 250px still nothing)

}

now starting again i also tried the following,

p {

width 80%;

color red; (and still nothing)

}

my link tag is as follows,

i will also add the surrounding html that is near the tag incase it is needed to be seen,

Thank You, I am really hanging to get it done i have not left my computer for longer then four hours which was to go to the doctor this morning and the 1 hour sleep i got as i was just too excited and i still am there is no cure although i will add i reckon i will have a good part of it cured once my site is live. I hope you can get back to me asap... Thanks again Nathan.

Using Desktop as a folder won't help as it will be wrong when you upload to a server.

You need a master folder/directory, say MyWebpages which will be equivalent to the root directory of your hosting service and put index.html in there and make sub-folder/directories inside that:-

MyWebpages > index.html

MyWebpages > root.css

MyWebpages > cssTutorials > tables_tutorial.html

MyWebpages > cssTutorials > css.html

MyWebpages > products > productList.html

MyWebpages > images > image.jpg

The links in index.html will be like this:-

• Tables Tutorial
  • CSS
  • Products
  • links to images in index.html would be images/image.jpg

link to stylesheet in the head section

The links in tables_tutorial.html and css.html will be:-

• Index
  • Tables Tutorial
  • CSS
  • Products
  • links to images in tables_tutorial.html and css.html would be ../images/image.jpg

The links in productList.html will be:-

• Index
  • Tables Tutorial
  • CSS
  • Products
  • links to images in productList.html would be ../images/image.jpg

It's a good idea not to have too many files in the root directory, usually just an index file, a root.css file and a favicon.ico file.

Some links above link to the same page, so you can omit the link, but if you have a common menu they would stay there.

Edited by Wickham

mate i really hate to do this to you but im just still a bit confused please keep in mind that i have only experienced the whole html and css in about 12 hours other then that i have my own website and just know real basics. I will say i am getting there and what you are saying is almost clear but then i get confused about the directories i think what you are saying is instead of my folder which is where my webpages are in which i called onlinepersonalwebsite i think you are saying to change the name to Mywebpages but then you are talking about sub directories mate im really sorry but i am just starting out sorry to waste your time...Thank you....Nathan.

Well, for simplicity put all your files including image and css files in onlinepersonalwebsite (which will be the equivalent of the root directory of your hosting service server) and don't have any links with ../ and no sub-folder/directories, so all links will be like

• CSS
  • and all images will be

Image description

You will need to learn to use sub-folders/directories when your site gets more files.