<td>

<div class="tbgen">

g

</div>

</td>

</tr>

</tr>

</table>

and have done what I can think of to get rid of the spacing above and below the cells in column 1 but in chrome cell g is off by itself and in firefox column 1 spaces all cells equally in respect to the current size of column 2. Could anyone please assist me with my problem? Thank you for your time and consideration.

For starters, you have a redundant </tr> at the bottom right before the closing table tag.

Setting your cellspacing from 10 to zero will help with the spacing issue, and if you add a * {margin: 0; padding: 0;} to your CSS, you'll take caer of any browser default settings.

However, Safari, Opera, Chrome shows c, e, and f as big as their content makes them, and g takes up the remaining space (set your min height to something more manageable like 300 while you're working on this); while

Firefox and IE9 space c, e, f, and g equally to cover the height of d.

Try setting the height of cells c, e, f, and g to what height you want, that should solve this problem.

But I hope you're now working on a table to use it for layout -- that's bad and very outdated practice.

Tables are for tabular data, and yes, the 'modern' way (as of going on 10 years ago now) is to use CSS for formatting and layout. Divs are just one of the tags used to make that happen.

And yes, by setting margins and padding to zero on all browsers, I'm doing a reset.

Tables are for tabular data, and yes, the 'modern' way (as of going on 10 years ago now) is to use CSS for formatting and layout. Divs are just one of the tags used to make that happen.

And yes, by setting margins and padding to zero on all browsers, I'm doing a reset.

Thank you, you have been incredibly helpful, I think I'll be spending a lot of time on this forum. :)