How do I show them mine??

Pachino

(haha, nothing rude here, just a hopefully catchy title :D )

I have my first client and am in the process of putting together a web site with Dreamweaver CS5 and Wordpress and learning loads as I go along with some great killersites tutorials.

What I would like to do though, is be able to show the client my work. Im not sure the best way to go about this. It is currently on my desktop under WAMP.

I have a few ideas but they evolve around me uploading the site to a password locked location on my server. However to do this Id have to upload it from WAMP, then to the location on my server and then again (if the client is happy) onto there server (if they dont host with me.) Im not sure how easy/hard it is to swap locations of a web site but im guessing not straight forward?

But what do I know, there is probably another way of doing this I don't know about.

Any suggestions or help welcomed.

All the best,

Mickey

The latest wordpress should be a breeze to install, don't even need to change the wp-config file.

step 1 would be to create your database through your cpanel from your provider

step 2 create user and password

step 3 link user to database

then copy all wordpress files to your hosting and run index.php, from there you just fill in the details to match your database connection

if you need to change the wordpress theme go to /wp-content/themes and hack the one you want to change (make a backup!)

hope this helped

if all else fails, get the video tutorial from killerphp, helped me heaps in the beginning.

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

So there is no way I can do this from my PC? IE client can see what I have without uploading?

The only way is if my site is online?

If thats the case I wonder why im messing around with WAMP in the first place?

Ok, so say in future I work on all of my sites online and skip WAMP, where do I put the site on my server so both myself and the client only can see it? Ideally Id like not to have to move it from there on in.

Set up a subdomain on your host site and check to see if you can password a subdomain. Most host will have a setting to do this. If not, you can use .htaccess to password it.

You can then follow Hank's steps but keep in mind that you need to name your database, username and password to be the same as what you have on your WP on your PC.

/** The name of the database for WordPress */

define('DB_NAME', 'database_name_here');

/** MySQL database username */

define('DB_USER', 'username_here');

/** MySQL database password */

define('DB_PASSWORD', 'password_here');

/** MySQL hostname */

define('DB_HOST', 'localhost');

You will also have to check the localhost in that WP config file to match what the host server uses. Most use 'localhost'.

As for WAMP, it comes in handy when you want to view php files on your computer. Otherwise, you can use your own host to display your work. Just remember that most hosting companies keep backups of your files but it would be wise to keep a copy on your own computer as well. Don't forget a backup copy of the database as well.

Hey been thinking about this...

If wordpress is the way to go, the only thing I really need to do is come up with a template for wordpress. Wordpress is so easy to set up I don't mind doing this twice.

If I design my own template I can just apply it again and again where I see fit.

Am I right in thinking this?