font size and nav. browser resizing etc

Ant

I need some help understanding how to address the following problem.

On my mac I know there are 2 ways to resize the browsers font sizes (in both safari and firefox)

Command + or - and under preferences I can change it there as well.

However when I do the command - there is a range(certain amount of time I hit "command -") that makes the fonts in my navigation jump to the next line. Now I'm not sure why that would happen since I'm actually making the font smaller. So why would it act as if the font is getting bigger and kick to the next line?

Also how do I address the fact that some people may have their font sizes set in their preferences to a large size. How do I create my navigation size to accomodate that. I had my friend call me and tell me the "contact us" link was missing. I told him it was on the next line and I would attempt to fix it. Problem is I think there are a few variables on his end that I am unaware of that could be causing that.(his browser font preferences, monitor size etc etc)

The site is built at 960px wide and the nav fonts are set to 12px.

What do I need to learn to make sure I create my navs correctly and have them appear properly on all monitor sizes, browser font preferences and browser resizing key strokes?

A.

Heres the site:

I have a lot of work left to do on it. This is my second site (first was html/css and no CMS system) and the first time I used wordpress.

Also this is the site I mentioned here where the client (my friend) insisted I design it HIS WAY. He also insisted I launch it and tweak stuff later(BAD IDEA) It was a losing battle on my end to steer them toward a different "look". Suffice to say I'm embarrassed to be associated with the design choices I was forced to do. I probably should have refused but I sold out to keep the friendship rather then telling them to find someone else.

Whats important is I learned A LOT (drop shadows, CMS, some PHP etc)even if the final product looks as if I do not have a shred of art/design experience. Coming from a art/print design background it's still very hard to design a graphically interesting site as I would like when I'm still fumbling to learn how to do things.

A.

Thanks Andrea I'll try to figure out what that does exactly.

The width of my #navbar is 960 so I'm not sure what making the #nav 950 does.

The whole problem is when I look at the css it looks like there are nav bars within nav bars etc. So now I have to try and figure out whats for what. Thats the problem I have found when using wordpress. Since I used a template, I had to learn what each css element was and tweak from there. If I had created it myself I could visualize what was what etc.since I wrote it.

A.