Joomla video tutorials?

danhodge

I have been looking through all the debates over which is better out of Joomla and Wordpress, and the final opinion seems to be that they aren't comparable because they each have their own uses, which surpass the 'competition'.

So i was wondering, will killersites be making any tutorials on Joomla? I prefer to use this for now, as it seems to offer more options than Wordpress (blogs, and other add ons such as a forum that can be used fairly easily), however customizing the default template feels like a shot in the dark, and i would of thought Joomla will get as many purchases as Wordpress got for you? Being able to make a template from scratch would be great!

Also, just so i don't spam up the forums with another thread, i am creating my website design homepage, as i figured the earlier i started the better, and i thought of using Joomla... Is this too much for a website design homepage, or is it suggested?

My reasoning was that i am, obviously, hoping to be adding to my portfolio regularly, so it would be a pain to jump back into dreamweaver and edit more code, so if i could log in on Joomla, i can make a new article, throw in a picture of the finished design, and set it to the frontpage, then i have my 'Portfolio' page, which is a front page blog layout, which will show all my past jobs - meaning uploading it once will place it in the several places i want it.

Thanks a lot for all your help,

Danny

I have been looking through all the debates over which is better out of Joomla and Wordpress, and the final opinion seems to be that they aren't comparable because they each have their own uses, which surpass the 'competition'.

So i was wondering, will killersites be making any tutorials on Joomla? I prefer to use this for now, as it seems to offer more options than Wordpress (blogs, and other add ons such as a forum that can be used fairly easily), however customizing the default template feels like a shot in the dark, and i would of thought Joomla will get as many purchases as Wordpress got for you? Being able to make a template from scratch would be great!

Also, just so i don't spam up the forums with another thread, i am creating my website design homepage, as i figured the earlier i started the better, and i thought of using Joomla... Is this too much for a website design homepage, or is it suggested?

My reasoning was that i am, obviously, hoping to be adding to my portfolio regularly, so it would be a pain to jump back into dreamweaver and edit more code, so if i could log in on Joomla, i can make a new article, throw in a picture of the finished design, and set it to the frontpage, then i have my 'Portfolio' page, which is a front page blog layout, which will show all my past jobs - meaning uploading it once will place it in the several places i want it.

Thanks a lot for all your help,

Danny

Creating a Joomla template is way easier than Wordpress. For starters you do not have that many files to work with. The problem I had with Joomla back during 1.5 era was the difficulty I ran into trying to customize the layout. Now I know it can be done, but at that particular time I was not willing to put in the time or effort to figure it out. I already knew Wordpress and was able to do exactly what I intended with it. Joomla gives you a ton of features and that is cool, but also an overkill for a basic website.

Well, i can edit the CSS perfectly fine, but its more a case of navigating around the files that confuses me - there is barely any HTML to work with, so if i wanted to change something like the text on the login form, i wouldn't know how to do that... (I don't think you can do that through 'Admin').