create a search feature etc.

Ant

First I'm asking this question here because our co's web designer cant figure it out. So I figured maybe someone here can tell me if it is possible or where to look to get the answers.

This is the type of thing I need to recreate and have it appear on our current site. OR I guess it can be a separate page on it's own. Either way. http://www.crosssection-online.com/search.asp

Presently my co. website runs on Joomla. We have a search feature that searches everything on the site. However now I need to create a separate search function on the site that will search a folder with html files in it. I will be uploading all these html files.

Is there a way to do that? I was told it cant be done using the current search feature because it's a database using php and won't work on html files.

How hard is it to place a separate search feature on the current site that will only search folder X on either the current server or a separate server and output results on the current sites page where that search box resides.

Since I was told it won't work on the current site I assume this folder with the html files in it needs to be on a separate server.

Thanks.

A.

Edited by Ant

This is probably something that would be challenging to build yourself (or at least build well.) Having the searchable content stored within a database makes this task way easier.

Your best bet is probably to either look at embedding Google search (http://www.google.com/sitesearch/) within the site, and using it to search the files, or looking for a read-made script that has HTML searching capabilities. http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/php.html is one option, though I personally have no experience with it. Searching for "html search php" should give you some others.

Since I was told it won't work on the current site I assume this folder with the html files in it needs to be on a separate server.

I don't think that's necessarily true. As far as I understand it, the reason your current search doesn't work with is that Joomla expects the contents that it is searching to be within the database, and it is not built to search static HTML files.

I don't think that's necessarily true. As far as I understand it, the reason your current search doesn't work with is that Joomla expects the contents that it is searching to be within the database, and it is not built to search static HTML files.

Ben, thanks. What we wanted was a search feature on the current site that would search html files that I place on the server. We assumed it would have to be added to the current site as an additional search function/module whatever it's called. I am not sure why the current search function cant be modified to ALSO search for html files in folder X.

I'll look into the links you posted.

I was told one option was to upload the html files as "articles" and hide them from readers, although I guess thats very time consuming.

A.

I am not sure why the current search function cant be modified to ALSO search for html files in folder X.

Could it? Possibly. But searching a database and searching individual files are completely separate tasks, and you'd basically be writing that feature from scratch. Have you checked for a Joomla search plugin that might do this? That's one other possibility.

I was told one option was to upload the html files as "articles" and hide them from readers, although I guess thats very time consuming.

Well, yes, that would cause those articles to appear within Joomla's search, but I'm assuming that adding all the individual pages would be a lengthy process.