Why Not Post Your Actual Website URL?

joecool

Thank you for looking. Thats good to know. MODS can you please edit out that link please from the above post? And no links to my site please.

Above is a quote from Eric from another thread. I didn't want to post this there because I would be taking Eric's thread off topic. But what Eric said is something I have noticed on this forum before that people don't tend to put links to their actual site when they are asking questions, they tend to use a tiny url or something.

Is there a particular reason for this that I should know about?

On IM forums I never show my websites but on webdesign type forums, I didn't think it would be a problem.

What are others thoughts on this?

It's probably because if you are coding a website for a Client and it's got a few problems, you don't want a link to it in a forum that a search engine could get hold of, which might mean lots more people having a look at it and the Client, if he found out, might not like his unfinished website being online with lots of errorrs.

So giving a tiny url or a plain text url which isn't a hyperlink is one way to allow a few people here to look at it without it being broadcast far and wide.

In my case, the site is my personal website. If perspective clients search my domain or biz name these links show up. I would prefer that only related links to their search show up and not how to do web design etc.

That makes perfect sense. Since this is the first web design type forum I have ever joined, it never occured to me before.

Thanks for the clarification.

Yep, I do it to avoid the search engines. Clients search for their name and wonder why their site shows up on discussion boards rather than in the actual search results. Obviously, since their site is new, it's not going to show up right away, but they don't always understand that.

I also do it for the reason Wickham stated - I don't want my clients to see links to threads discussing problems with their sites.

Yep, I do it to avoid the search engines. Clients search for their name and wonder why their site shows up on discussion boards rather than in the actual search results. Obviously, since their site is new, it's not going to show up right away, but they don't always understand that.

I also do it for the reason Wickham stated - I don't want my clients to see links to threads discussing problems with their sites.

Yep, it does make sense.

Because at the moment I am mainly focused on learning skills that will help me improve my own personal websites and build personal websites, it never really occured to me.

Edited by joecool