Header Borders

Guest milspecfilm

Guest milspecfilm

What is the best way to simply wrap a border around a selection of text, whether it be header, paragraph, or anything else.

When I say wrap I mean where the border is hugging all sides of the text, not extending through the page to identify the margins.

Can anyone clarify?

-Neal

If you want to put a border around the whole h tag or p tag, then you need to add a width as Susie said.

When you said a selection of text, I thought you meant just part of the text in a heading, and so I did a test with a span tag:-

CSS:-

.border { border: 2px solid red; line-height: 1.4; }

.border2 { border: 2px solid red; width: 400px; text-align: center; }

Markup:-

The text inside the span tags has a border.

The text has a border around all of it.

The text inside the span tags has a border.

What I found was that the first and last examples with the span tag only produced side borders, not top or bottom borders, until I added line-height to the style, which varied according to the text size, (unless your style for the whole page in the body style already includes a suitable line-height). The border needs a bit extra line-height in some circumstances. It does not need a width as it just flows inside the p or h tag.

The second example applying the border class to the whole h tag (or p tag) does not need a line-height adjustment but does need a width. You need to allow enough width in case someone increases text size and the text expands beyond the border, so centering the text is advisable.

Edited by Wickham