beginner's question about publishing (probably VERY simple)

Guest jadefoxx

Guest jadefoxx

Hi,

forgive my ignorance, i'm very new to this. Everything seems to be working well with my first website, except that: when i type www.mydomain.com into the address bar it goes to my homepage as desired, but when I type just mydomain.com it goes to my index page which is just bare bones. I'm sure it's just simple settings... can someone tell me what to do? I'm using 123reg.co.uk for my hosting, they also manage my domains.

My other domains, www.mydomain.co.uk and www.mydomain.eu, both direct straight to my homepage with no problem. I'm sure everything is configured right but if someone can give me any clues it'd be much appreciated. If any further info is needed please let me know :)

Most hosts are configured to accept several types of landing page such as index.html, index.htm, index.php, default.html, default.htm, and so on. However, host varies as to which one is precedes the other. For instance:

You may have two landing page files. Yours might be called index.html while there might be another called defaul.html that came by default when you first set up your host. The host will more than likely try to find the default.html first when the domain url is entered. If it's not avaible then it will look for the index.html.

You can simply delete that default file or just rename it and it should then allow your own page to display regardless if your enter www.mydomian.com or mydomain.com.