Killersites.Univ. Web Design course

daffydorf

Hi, I'm currently studying the Web Design Tutorials and I am not able to make the transition from text written in the Notepad to a display of the web page. I am running Windows 7 using Mozilla Firefox as my browser. IE gave me all kinds of problems (it kept stopping). I have a Dell Inspiron 530S Desktop tri-booted with Windows 7, Linux Mandriva 2010, and Ubuntu 10.10. I've had some web development courses using Microsoft Visual Web Developer. After I complete the HTML code on Notepad I "save as" HTML in my Desktop directory. I select File - Open File in the browser, navigate to the file I just created, open it and my browser just displays all of my source code (HTML); no web page is rendered. I would sure appreciate some help with this.

Odds are is that the file may actually have .txt saved to it because your windows settings is set to hide file extensions thus you see filename.html but it's actually saved as filename.html.txt

Not sure for Windows 7 but for XP you need to adjust your settings by opening the Folder Options via windows explorer Tools/Folder Options and then click on the View tab. Uncheck 'Hide extensions for know types'

You should now see the file extensions. Just rename your html file to be .html.