Remote source files

CalumetTraditions

Hey hey,

There is something i am missing here. I am trying to edit a template on a server. first i downloaded the entire directory and pulled up the home.html page on my wysiwyg editor but it didn't look anything like it does in a browser. Next, i worked off the server with the same editor, but still the layout is completely different with no images, links, etc.

There isn't an index.html, nor any shtml......i thought maybe i was opening up the wrong homepage. But lets say it is the correct one, this homepage will refer to other pages in the directory on the server. Is it possible that my editor is not giving the homepage access to the directory? Any suggestions for a newbie? :mellow:

Thanks

Just to be clear, I meant my comment above as two separate ideas.

1) Have you downloaded all related files to your local machine? It is important to get any CSS files/images, etc. otherwise it won't look the same downloaded to your computer as it does online.

And, as Newseed said, the template uses just HTML/CSS/images, correct? Does it use PHP, a database connection or anything similar? This could mean it's trickier to work with the files on your computer.

2) It would be easier for us to give you advice if you provide a link to your site so we can take a look at the template.

Thx for the replies.

My site's name is CalumetTraditions.3dCartStores.com, i just switched over from another hosting company and haven't requested to have my domain name point to the new IP, which explains the subdomain.

Anyway, I have downloaded all files related to the site (from what i know, lol). And also, there is a mdb directory aside from the templates dir; there is also code that references asp....maybe i should switch back to fatcow cuz they use linux? haha.

Here is some code from the homepage......

<script language="JavaScript" src="assets/templates/common/js/utilities.js" type="text/JavaScript"></script>

<link rel="StyleSheet" href="assets/templates/[template]/css/[stylesheet]" type="text/css" media="screen">

<link rel="StyleSheet" href="assets/templates/common/js/tabs.css" type="text/css" media="screen">

What i am wondering is if these links reference the server's directory, when i download the files to work locally, wouldn't these links become unusable? This is why i thought i would direct Quantas to work off the server, and i did pull up the homepage with Quantas, but still the site is unlike that viewed from a browser.

FYI, the link to your site doesn't work.

If your template uses ASP, the site will only work on the server, or you'd need to get IIS set up on your computer. I am a bit confused though -- a linux based server shouldn't be able to run ASP as far as I know.

Either way, it looks like the "template" uses some sort of dynamic programming language, which means you'll most likely either need to work directly on the server, or set up a server on your computer, make a copy of the database (I'm assuming you probably have a database of some sort), etc.

Thanks for updating the link. Yes, the site does use ASP. In order to work on those files on your local computer, you'd need to set up IIS (server sftware) on your computer to run ASP and most likely export the database and set it up on your machine. Once you are finished modifying your files, you'll need to upload them to the server and then possibly transfer the database again.

Your implication here is that even though i am connected to the server through quantas, the pages i pull up are still inaccurate because quanta cannot open asp?

I'm not completely sure I understand you... I was incorrect though -- it does look like it is possible to run ASP on linux. However, your issue is with trying to run ASP on your local computer. Your current server/hosting setup is fine.

Lets say i access the website through a browser, the asp pages the site is referring to is processed on the server (is this correct?).....not on the local machine.

If using an wysiwyg editor, shouldn't i be able to view the site, what the web browser sees, in its accurate format?....sorry for any terminology incorrectness, but what i am getting at is, right now, even if i work off the server i am still unable to view the proper format.

BTW, I am curious what you checked when you visited my link? And with any tools?

Lets say i access the website through a browser, the asp pages the site is referring to is processed on the server (is this correct?).....not on the local machine.

Correct.

BTW, I am curious what you checked when you visited my link? And with any tools?

I didn't check anything specific, but some of the files end in .asp and ecommerce sites usually use a server-side language like ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, etc.

If using an wysiwyg editor, shouldn't i be able to view the site, what the web browser sees, in its accurate format?....sorry for any terminology incorrectness, but what i am getting at is, right now, even if i work off the server i am still unable to view the proper format.

What do you mean by "WYSIWYG editor"? Something like Dreamweaver? A program that's installed on your local computer, rather than the some sort of administration functionality within the browser?

If you are using a program that's installed on your local computer, the WYSIWYG portion may or may not work. In many cases, it needs the server to render the page.

Yea, i will assume that experienced webmasters are inclined to work with code rather than relying on wysiwyg functions like in dreamweaver. So i think my solution is to dig through the css and make the changes i need, since they are aesthetic ones, and confirm my changes with a browser.

And yes my app is like dreamweaver, called quanta plus and its installed on my local comp. I was hoping that i could work with quanta and view the changes with it wysiwyg capability, But i think you are right, there is something missing in the app that the browser has.

Thx for your help. Peace :D