what else except cms??

dianikol85

hi to all!!

So, this is my question. I use wordpress as cms for my web projects. so far so good, no problem at all!! But apparently we cant do all the kind of sites with wordpress. For example, let's say we want to buld a site about hotel booκing room (online of course) and what hotels are near by to choose from. In other words, a web site that advertise hotels using images etc and room booking system.So I do need a database and an administrator tool to manage hotels and what rooms are available in which hotel and stuff like that.

What's your opinion about that and what do you suggest someone to do in a situation like this one. Do i need to use cakePHP or zend framework for example?

Thank you in advance.

Depends. Before jumping to a PHP framework (CakePHP, CodeIgniter, etc) I would take a look around and see if there are any premade solutions out there for this. Either look for something that's specifically intended to handle hotel booking, or it's possible that a larger CMS (Drupal, ExpressionEngine, etc for example, though I'm sure there are others to look at as well) might have some of this functionality, or plugins/addons to do this. You could perhaps use something like Symphony CMS/Textpattern/Concrete5 as a starting point, and build on top of that.

If you can't find anything you can adapt, then yes, creating a PHP based application is probably the next step. Whether you choose to use a PHP framework is up to you, and of course depends on how complicated the project is. In my case, I wouldn't build a web app without using CodeIgniter as the base because it can greatly speed up my coding -- it provides a lot of the basic functionality ready made, saving me from having to create a lot of that from scratch.

then let's say there aren't out there something for handle hotels. (i 'll use the same example) So i have to do something by myself. So a php framework (CakePHP, CodeIgniter, etc) is the next step to build my own cms-like for this particular project using its ready fuctionality. Otherwise i can't do much to get the web app done i guess.

then let's say there aren't out there something for handle hotels. (i 'll use the same example) So i have to do something by myself. So a php framework (CakePHP, CodeIgniter, etc) is the next step to build my own cms-like for this particular project using its ready fuctionality. Otherwise i can't do much to get the web app done i guess.

Correct. If something out there doesn't exist, or can't be adapted to make it fit for the project, then you'd have to do it yourself. Keep in mind that a PHP framework is just that -- a framework. You'll still need know PHP pretty well. It isn't necessarily like jQuery, where you don't really need to know Javascript in order to work with it.

i see, anyway i wanted to learn some framework, i am between cakePHP and CodeIgniter. i read that cakePHP have a lot of ready functionality but it hides you how the things work while CodeIgniter gives you this knowledge. I guess that depends on me, Anyway do you have any good video tuts of CodeIgniter to suggest me? i am a beginning with framewoks

I can't really compare CodeIgniter with CakePHP. However, I found CodeIgniter quite easy to get started with, logically laid out, and the online documentation is excellent. Besides, I know CI not Cake, and I'm not sure anyone here has that much experience with CakePHP. ;)

I'd suggest the NetTuts series on CodeIgniter, which covers 16 videos at the moment. Here's the lastest one, but I'd suggest starting with #1 and working your way thought (links included below the video): http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/php/codeigniter-from-scratch-profiling-benchmarking-hooks/

I can't really compare CodeIgniter with CakePHP. However, I found CodeIgniter quite easy to get started with, logically laid out, and the online documentation is excellent. Besides, I know CI not Cake, and I'm not sure anyone here has that much experience with CakePHP. ;)

hehe thanks a lot!!!!!!!

A well made shopping cart sofware could be customized so that it can accept reservations, send confirmations, take credit cards, etc.

The challenge would be to get it integrated within the hotel's reservation program on their computer/server which has calendar scheduler, room assignment, etc.

Unless you got heavy programming experience this may be something best left to the experts and could take a pretty big chunk of cash to pull it off. Otherwise, you will need lots of time and patience to pull this off.

Edited by newseed

Unless you got heavy programming experience this may be something best left to the experts and could take a pretty big chunk of cash to pull it off. Otherwise, you will need lots of time and patience to pull this off.

+1

If you are brand new to CodeIgniter, this project is probably too big for you. I didn't have that much trouble getting started with CI, but that doesn't mean you will be building complicated apps immediately, and it doesn't replace the need for previous experience building web applications (especially if you have to deal with accepting money online -- you can't afford to take chances with security on that.) Heck, it's something that I'm not sure I'd be comfortable taking on if I had to custom build it.

Not to discourage you, but keep that in mind... If you want to get involved with CodeIgniter development, you may want to start with a smaller project.

Oh dont worry guys. It was just an example just to show things that cms like wordpress can't do. I guess nobody risk a web site like that without being well known of the framework that is going to be use. I am a starter so i'll do simple things until i get better...

Got it. Well, feel free to post if you have CodeIgniter questions. Hopefully you'll find it as easy to work with as I did. In addition to the video tutorials, definitely skim some of the user guide (http://codeigniter.com/user_guide/). There's a lot of useful functionality that you might not discover otherwise.