FTPing PHP files

Cory Duchesne

I might be missing something obvious here, or maybe my problems are due to the fact I use the firefox addon "FireFTP" to do my FTPing, i'm not sure.

Basically, I'm creating and saving my PHP files in the www directory of WAMP. But when I go to do the FTP, I flash up FireFTP and I try to coordinate the from folder on my computer to the to folder on my server, but the www directory doesn't seem to exist on my computer, so I can't transfer it over.

I suppose when I'm saving my files in the www directory, I'm actually saving them in on the local host server?

I can't do the typical transfer of files from my computer over to my server. So what I've been doing is after I'm done working on my php files, I copy and paste them over to a directory on my computer, and then I do the FTP. But this is kind of awkward, surely there is a better way!

I was thinking perhaps there was a way to make it so that a file can exist in two different folders at once? Meaning, everytime I save a file in wamp's www, the same file simultaneously gets saved in another folder on my computer so that when it comes time to FTP, everything is ready.

Thanks, hope that wasn't too confusing.

I'm not completely sure what you mean... Your WAMP's www folder has no connection with your FTP or your hosting. The www folder that WAMP uses is simply a folder on your computer where you should store your files so WAMP has access to them, nothing more.

To upload your files, you would need to upload whatever files you have on your local www folder to the root of your web hosting. Assuming you installed WAMP to the default location on your computer, you should find your files within C:/wamp/www/

Ah, sorry, I figured out my problem.

See, I keep my html files in a folder outside of my wamp folder. When I FTP, I prefer to only work within my html folder, so what I did was I took my wamp wwww folder and shortcutted it into my html folder. That way, everything is together in one folder and I don't have to go back and forth between directories that are kind of far apart from each other.

Well, I just figured out that fireFTP isn't able to handle shortcuts. It can't recognize them. I assumed the reason I couldn't ftp my www folder was because of the nature of a wamp www folder, rather than realize it was just the fact that I shortcutted my www folder, which fireFTP doesn't like.

Hope that made sense.

Anyways, I still don't like how when I ftp that i have to jump between folders between my php files and html files, it's cumbersome. A solution might be just to move my folder of html work (+ images and stuff) into the wamp www folder. I'll give that a try, see if I like it.

You've got yourself very confused.

The www folder in Wamp is equivalent to the root directory on your server. You don't need to copy or shortcut the files on your computer anywhere else on your computer (except as a back-up), keep them all in the www folder. Upload everything in the www folder to the root directory on the server.

Most people would have sub-folders inside the www folder. You might have

www folder in Wamp

and a sub-folder in it for

website_1 and sub-sub-folders inside it for images, css files, etc.

In that case you would ftp everything in website_1 folder to the root directory of the server for that website and create an images sub-directory on the server for the files in the images folder on your computer.

Edited by Wickham