I need to change the color of a png while keeping it antialiased?

PicnicTutorials

I need to change the color of a png while keeping it antialiased? The png image is only about 15px by 15px, and it's circular, and it sits within a gray box. When I enlarge it and add the color I want to it, it takes away the antialias. You know, all the pixels on the outer edge of the image bleed into the gray box color so it looks antialiased. So what's the best tool for this job? Thanks!

Edited by Eric

Ummm... nevermind. I misread your comments and thought you were trying to do something else. Here are the proper steps:

Steps:

1 -- open the file in Photoshop

2 -- create a new layer above "layer 0" (which contains the original PNG), and name it "match"

3 -- using the pencil, paint in a small spot of the #33ffcc color on the "match" layer. This is just for matching later.

4 -- duplicate "layer 0", and place it between layer 0 and the "match" layer you just created in step 2. Rename the layer "copy" just for clarity's sake

5 -- select the duplicated layer, and then adjust the colors using Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation until it nearly matches the color you are looking for (the blue circle includes a gradient, so it won't be exactly #33ffcc). Compare it to the #33ffcc in the "match" layer. This will mostly be done by adjusting the "Hue" slider. Make sure that the "preview" checkbox is on, so you can see what your changes will look like.

6 -- once you have adjusted it to your liking, do a Save for Web

Make sense?

Nice - I'll do it tomorrow morning when I have my gallon of coffee in me at 4am. While your here - by chance do you know (or any one) how to add text into a input field by default, but, have it disappear when you type in it?

Well I finally just found one method. Anyone know better http://www.456bereastreet.com/lab/autopopulating-text-input-fields/

Edited by Eric

Oh I put the wrong link in. here it is. http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200710/autopopulating_text_input_fields_with_javascript/

I agree though - too much code. I'll try yours - if it works - I'm using it! Thanks again, again! 456bereastreet was making it more assessable I think - hence all the code. But that's not worth all the code to me...

Ummm... nevermind. I misread your comments and thought you were trying to do something else. Here are the proper steps:

Steps:

1 -- open the file in Photoshop

2 -- create a new layer above "layer 0" (which contains the original PNG), and name it "match"

3 -- using the pencil, paint in a small spot of the #33ffcc color on the "match" layer. This is just for matching later.

4 -- duplicate "layer 0", and place it between layer 0 and the "match" layer you just created in step 2. Rename the layer "copy" just for clarity's sake

5 -- select the duplicated layer, and then adjust the colors using Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation until it nearly matches the color you are looking for (the blue circle includes a gradient, so it won't be exactly #33ffcc). Compare it to the #33ffcc in the "match" layer. This will mostly be done by adjusting the "Hue" slider. Make sure that the "preview" checkbox is on, so you can see what your changes will look like.

6 -- once you have adjusted it to your liking, do a Save for Web

Make sense?

Those directions were perfect. Did it - looks perfect! :)