how to handle content

Ant

The website I'm designing is for a fly fishing shop.

The shop does not have an online store.

The point of the site, as I see it, is informational.What they offer, services, classes, new products etc..

You cannot buy anything from the site. Mostly because the owner is too lazy to have a pop machine, keep track of inventory etc etc.

So my question is concerning the home page.

Should I handle the content on the home page so that it covers NEW PRODUCTS, SHOP NEWS/UPDATES etc immediately, or should I keep the front page simple and make the viewer click on a graphic that says "shop NEWS" SHOP UPDATES etc that will bring them to another page that outlines new products the shop has, upcoming events, news etc..

I like a site thats clean and does not SCROLL forever with countless images and text on the homepage.

BUT I also think it's more effective for the homepage to immediately show the viewer SOME details of say a new product,(with a description) or an upcoming event/news so the viewer see's it immediately without having to click on an image to get to it.

Hopefully I explained things well. What do you all think?

Thanks

Ant

As you said, you do NOT want to have to scroll forever. The home page is supposed to make it obvious what the site is all about, so you're pretty much hitting the nail on the head. Whether it takes a page of its own to display the remaining events or new products (or whatever) would depend on how many more there are or how much more detail there will be.

Usually this is handled by including spotlights to the important/popular pages in the site on the home page. For example, maybe you wouldn't list all the news items on the home page, but you could list the first one or two and then provide a link to the news page. Similarly, you could list a few of the new products on the home page, and then link to the new products page. Doing this helps guide the visitor to the most important sections.

As you said, you do NOT want to have to scroll forever. The home page is supposed to make it obvious what the site is all about, so you're pretty much hitting the nail on the head. Whether it takes a page of its own to display the remaining events or new products (or whatever) would depend on how many more there are or how much more detail there will be.

This is the type of site I like: http://www.silver-creek.com/

I like it because of it's graphic nature. It's interesting yet simple. HOWEVER I have to click on one of the bottom 3 graphics for updates, news etc.. The front page doesn't SCREAM a message to the viewer immediately..."hey we just got this in, or April 5, casting clinique etc..."

Whereas a site like this:(maybe not a good example but... ) http://www.eveninghatch.com/ has some NEWS on the home page that is urgent or warrants immediate attention.

I guess I'm torn between the 2 options. Maybe I can have a small blurb about some URGENT info on the home site with a MORE option that brings the viewer to a page with full details?

BTW if I cant post links I apologize. Please remove them.

Ant

Usually this is handled by including spotlights to the important/popular pages in the site on the home page. For example, maybe you wouldn't list all the news items on the home page, but you could list the first one or two and then provide a link to the news page. Similarly, you could list a few of the new products on the home page, and then link to the new products page. Doing this helps guide the visitor to the most important sections.

Ok so I guess the spotlight thing is sort of what I mentioned.

A blurb, graphic etc that leads to a full story page.