More than just snippets

MacRankin

It's been a whiles since I've looked at any css / php / gobble-de-gook markup and code, and I've got no idea when or how I'm going to get back into all this web page building stuff...

I've since signed up for the KillerSites University, but haven't really given much thought to how I'm going to re-learn all the stuff that I once knew. I could just get stuck into Stef's University and forget about all my memory hang-ups. I could, but before I go down that path again I'd really like to find a piece of software that will allow me to create not just a snippets collector but some 'all-in-one' app that will allow me to enter why a certain piece of code does not work, why we need to take another approach, what works and why, and also have some place to actually highlight the snippet of code under said explanations.

For one reason or another I feel that if I just blow over all this understanding and just use what's out there when I need it I'll never really have the same understanding as some of the more knowledgeable peeps out there, like you. So, I guess what I'm looking for is a piece of Mac OS X software that kind of looks like Coda, but allows you to create a description and knowledge base above for the code below. I've got something called 'Code Collector Pro', but that's just for snippets. It won't help me know why I've stored it apart from the obvious reason of having a work-around close to hand.

For the Mac OS X platform I do have BBEdit, which I suppose could be used for this one kind of task, but I'd much prefer a dedicated app. Code Collector Pro is okay (for snippets), as too is 'Snippet', which is more of a menu-based snippet collector. The only other solution might be something called, 'Snippets'. Yes, that does sound like the last app. Unfortunately, this one is only for the Snow Leopard, Mac OS X platform; I'm still using Leopard. I'm also using WindowShade X, which is a haxie isn't currently supported by Snow Leopard.

Incidentally, you might be interested in Snipt. It's a kind of social snippet-based community. I haven't joined up yet to see what benefits there might be, but I may yet do so if I can't resolve this little sticking point of mine.

You could look at something non code specific, like Evernote (http://www.evernote.com/) or similar (ShoveBox http://www.wonderwarp.com/shovebox/ - Journler http://journler.com/), that would allow you to create individual entries for each of your snippets and explain them... something more like a journal approach. I've used Evernote for quite a while for keeping track of small bits of code, and I like it -- it was well organized and I could organize my snippets by creating tags for the different languages (CSS, HTML, etc...)

The only downside is that it doesn't allow you to insert those snippets with a keyboard shortcut... everything is done with copy/paste. Still, it might be one option. In my case, I've started dropping Evernote for keeping track of snippets and keeping everything in TextExpander for the keyboard shortcut capability.

If you have Dreamweaver you could use the Snippet function which has a Title and Description area. I have Evernote too like Ben, but I don't like it, so for the time being I store everything as a draft in Gmail which is accessible wherever I am or whichever computer I'm using. I plan adding them at some time to my web site with live samples like Eric at visibilityinherit.com.

Hey, thanks there falkencreative. B)

I'm not too keen on the look of Journler, but it does look like it might have the makings of what I'm looking for. :)

I had Evernote a while back, but for some reason could not resurrect it. I'll have to uninstall it and then re-install it, I suppose. :rolleyes:

P.S. You know, it's kind of funny why I got into web page building... I wanted to show the world my Real Basic understandings, which I've now long since forgotten about! Now, an even funnier thought entered my mind that perhaps I should try to get back into it just to create something for this very problem.

P.P.S. Erm, but for now though I'll stick with your Journler suggestion. :D

Thanks again. B)

Oh, sorry there virtual. I didn't see your post. :rolleyes:

I really do not want to use DW if I can help it. Apart from the need of wanting an 'all-in-one' app solution for my immediate needs, these days I'd like to move away from the all dancing, all singing apps like DW, but I may just look into it.

Btw, thanks for the suggestion there virtual. B)

Edited by MacRankin

If you don't like the look of Journler, there are other programs out there that do similar things... You just have to find the one that works with your workflow. You might want to take a look at http://osx.iusethis.com/ and search for "journal", "notes", "code collector" or similar. It might come up with some software options you didn't know about.

I would suggest taking a second look at Evernote just in case, even if that does mean reinstalling. It is free, cross OS compatible (they have both OSX and Windows based versions if that's important to you) and can be synced up to their online storage so you can access all of your notes online.

Yeah, I'm now downloading Journler, as I really need to start making a kind of catalogue of all things I once knew of, but didn't quite understand, like my own and billyboy's code manipulations. Not to mention the understandings of our Eric's 'Sticky Footer' solution, or any of POB's, (Paul O'Brien over at SitePoint) incredible clear-headed understanding of all that is really going on under the hood, so to speak. B)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd like to nail the things I should know (under my hood) on the head, and permanently too! :lol: