search engine indexing

catfish

I am working on a new website where the client is fairly specif that she wants a "splash page" with just a collage of images before entering the site. I have never done this and have discouraged clients from doing this because of the search engines not finding them. My question however is - won't the engines find all of the other pages following, which contain the proper "title", "meta" "h" tags set up?

Typically, search engines look for root pages such as index.html, default.html, etc. and then any links ebmedded from there will get indexed. All pages will get indexed if a particular page is submitted and that that page has all the links directly/indirectly connected. In saying, it's possible to get all the pages listed even with a flash intro as the entry/root page.

I don't like flash/splash intro pages. It's 90'ish and you just have to wait that much longer to get where you want to go. Yes, some are cool but that's about it.

The client can still have their flash and still get all the pages indexed by using sitemap generator for Google, Yahoo, etc in various fomats (xml, txt, etc).

Instead of an intro page, why not have a normal home page with a flash embedded like we have done at the site: ww w.madc owcutlery.com (remove spaces)

Edited by newseed

I am working on a new website where the client is fairly specif that she wants a "splash page" with just a collage of images before entering the site. I have never done this and have discouraged clients from doing this because of the search engines not finding them. My question however is - won't the engines find all of the other pages following, which contain the proper "title", "meta" "h" tags set up?

generate a sitemap and upload to the searchengines that offer this functionality.

You can do it via google webmaster tools.