Database search on website

Guest fraser52

Guest fraser52

Hi ,

I want to add a feature that allows the visitor to display results of a database based on the keyword they type in i was wondering how i even start going about this. i would like to use an access database I have done a bit of snooping about on the net and most seem to reccomened you use asp.net. Im not sure where to start with this. Could i use an xml file as the database and search that ? or is this a bad idea? The database will have 280 entries and around 10 attributes for each entry and there will never be more than 280 entries. I just want to display a table on the webpage that displays the records which match the users search string. Can some one point me in the right direction of where to even start.

Thanks

Hi ,

I want to add a feature that allows the visitor to display results of a database based on the keyword they type in i was wondering how i even start going about this. i would like to use an access database I have done a bit of snooping about on the net and most seem to reccomened you use asp.net. Im not sure where to start with this. Could i use an xml file as the database and search that ? or is this a bad idea? The database will have 280 entries and around 10 attributes for each entry and there will never be more than 280 entries. I just want to display a table on the webpage that displays the records which match the users search string. Can some one point me in the right direction of where to even start.

Thanks

there are a lot of different ways of doing this, from actually matching keywords to content, or the easiest one that became very popular with blogs were tags.

You could add tags to each content that describe the content in a couple of words, and when people search it will simply list the content with these tags.

And what coding platform you use is irrelevant php/asp.net/ruby/perl/python with mysql/sqlite/xml etc. you can code it in all.