Positioning Images in the sidebar

BGD

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and trying to climb up the webdev learning curve....wonder whether one of you guys at the top could give me a hand.

I'm setting up a website for a small event I'm running. First website ever designed, first event on my own too so busy cramming up on a bunch of elements.

I have Dreamweaver CS4 and have laid out my basic div tags and one of these is a sidebar I have floated to the right hand side of my container.

In there I need to place some banner pictures for a couple of (hopeful) sponsors and the rest a few media partners. The dimensions of the images I am intending to ask for are: 72dpi .gif format, 150 px x 150 and I want them to all run vertically.

How do I place the images to get them to stay contained and vertical and of course stay there if the browser is manipulated by users etc?

Any tips and tricks would be much appreciated!

Thx in advance

BGD

For starters, I would not ask for images that small - you are better off resizing and optimizing yourself - plus, 150 px is pretty small.

How wide is your sidebar? Give it a width, work with that and some margins to your images, and line them up one after the other - they should fall in place all by themselves.

Do you have your page up somewhere? We can always help better when we can see what you actually have to work with.

Hi Andrea

Thank you for your response. No I haven't uploaded it as yet - it's all on the desktop at present.

Spent the last week trying to learn Photoshop to create a media pack! I'll be sticking it up over the weekend and will then be able to show. I guess I just didnt want anyone to stumble upon it as a work in progress.

OK thanks re filesize. The file size I chose because a couple of companies I have worked for before asked for that size for a subtle logo in the right hand corner like these here: http://www.bankingtech.com/bankingtech/resourceNoAds.do?id=bat:dos&section=dos (not one of my ex companies I hasten to add..)

The sidebar width is currently set at 265 px but that was just to space out the various block elements.

OK will try to figure out the placeholder function and see how they all perform. Had tried this previously and the didn't remain in the sidebar.

Thanks again

B

Edit: by the way I'm using some of these terms for the first time to try and be specific, hope it aint painfully obvious! ;D

Edited by BGD