Javascript vs PHP vs Python

JoeAllen

Hi there

This is a question I just posted on Stefan's Youtube site and seeing as I and have just joined the forum I thought it would be a good idea to post it here too:

Your web design course is the best I've tried by far. I am still working through the front-end parts but looming large are the back-end parts to the course.
With this in mind, I have a question that you have touched upon in earlier Youtube videos but since the developer world moves so fast maybe it is worth asking this (again) in late 2017.
The big choice to make for starting developers is the server language and it seems that at the end of 2017 there are 3 big players: 1. PHP  2. Javascript(nodeJS) and 3. Python(Django). 

Picking between these is really difficult because:
1. PHP was and still is the most popular (70% of small/medium websites) and it has Wordpress tied up. It is also on your course so I feel like I will fully understand it BUT most if not all bootcamps seem to be pushing nodeJS and a lot of Vloggers, other than yourself suggest that full-stack will eventually move entirely to javascript. Do you think this is true? And if so how soon will nodeJS start to dominate?

2. Learning nodeJs means that a new developer only has to learn one language and therefore it seems a win-win. So are there any issues/problems about this that a new developer should be aware of?

3. Python is everywhere: web development , AI, machine learning, internet of things, kids programming etc. So even though it is a less popular back-end language than PHP and maybe nodeJS, learning it seems like a good investment. What is the future of Python on the web?

I would love to hear anyones thoughts on this.

(Just realised this should probably be in the web development section - sorry!)

Joe
Show less

Edited by JoeAllen
put in wrong forum section
  • Like 1

Hi Joe, good question.

I will share with you my thoughts. 

Your question is complicated, and I will explain why.

Everyone is different and have different goals.

Node, react, angular and so on is in high demand, python as well.

But if you are thinking about to work as freelance than you need to play PHP, because PHP  is suitable for small projects such, small companies websites.

I recommend you think about yourself, your option (location) and think if you would like to work for big corporations,  perhaps startups or small business, because it will have an impact on your choices.

In my opinion, JavaScript is necessary if you are looking to the webdev world, if you manage to learn it and also put python or PHP on your belt, then you will have more option and opportunities as well.

I hope it can help you.

Happy coding. :)

Edited by JeanRauwers

Thanks Jean

I guess I haven't decided whether to start off freelance or work for a big company yet so maybe this is the key, based on your advice: PHP for freelance, Javascript as an employee. I also take your point about having 2 languages under your belt although I am a bit concerned about getting confused as an early developer. 

Returning to the Javascript theme the BBC TV network, who are based on my doorstep, have been running job adverts weekly asking for full-stack Javascript developers, specifically asking for nodeJS on the backend so I guess this is also why node has caught my attention.

Joe