Another IE6 Issue

newseed

Well here's another one:

ww w.koo lertek.com

Left nav: Nothing works. It should be a flyout. Can't even click on the parent links. (note: png fix works). I don't think it's a script conflict. Maybe be due to the use of position? File paths are correct.

ww w.koo lertek.com/computer-parts/pc/viewCategories.asp

Left nav: Partially works (parent linkes only) but flyout non-functional. Png fix is also non-functional. Path looks correct for the png fix but a fresh set of eyes would be nice to verify that.

IE6 is certainly a major thorn in my foot on this project.

Haven't had time to look on IE6 for the other problems but your path to the png fix is different on the ww w.koo lertek.com/computer-parts/pc/viewCategories.asp page

On the ww w.koo lertek.com/ page you have the following:

src="/computer-parts/pc/scripts/pngfix/supersleight.js"

on the ww w.koo lertek.com/computer-parts/pc/viewCategories.asp page you have

src="scripts/pngfix/supersleight.js

I am no expert, but I am a great researcher, I found this for you

IE6 doesn't hover on anything other than a's without either Javascript or the fake tables that Stu Nichols uses. So, to get the dropdowns to work you'll need either

a: the Suckerfish Javascript (and add the little classes to your CSS sheet) as seen here: http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/

or

b: stick an .htc file on your server which also is Javascript but tells IE6 to hover on anything you want hovered... webpage: http://www.xs4all.nl/~peterned/csshover.html

actual file: http://www.xs4all.nl/~peterned/htc/csshover2.htc

In the drop down menu I used with the htc file, the conditional comment for IE6 had absolutely to be placed just before the closing .

I hope this helps, this project seems to be as you say a major pain in IE6.

P.S. The pngfix does not work on the other pages either because the paths to the fix are the same as on the index page

Edited by virtual

try adding position relative to .menulist and/or the div surrounding it. .menulist has z-index, but no position, so thats doing nothing.

Also, do you have the png fix applied to it? If so, that is most surely the cause. You have to put the images in another element () inside the anchor, and apply the png fix to that. That way you don't kill the anchors (as is now). If thats the reason that is...

I'm going to pull away from png fix for now and use conditional comments to where it uses gifs/jpgs for IE6 only.

Right now, my focus is to get the menu to function.

ww w.koo lertek.com/computer-parts/pc/viewCategories.asp

The above url works fine in Firefox but it doesn't in IE.

The following url works fine for both browsers:

ww w.koo lertek.com

Both are using the same files for the menu. What's different is the header.asp. One is for the home page and the other is for the store page (the first link).

I checked both pages to see if either (or both) the fsmenu.js or the css file paths were incorrect. The paths are correct.

IE6??....GO AWAY!!!!

I did and it solved the flyout from being under the splash div. I attempted to add another element within the a tag to no avail and so I reverted back.

So since I have disabled the png fix, not sure why the flyout works on the home page but not on the store pages.

Update: I haven't found the fix but I did find that the menu does work on this url:

ww w.koo lertek.com/computer-parts/pc/About-Us-d1.htm

This uses the same store header file and so my hunch is correct that there is a script or function that is cause it to break.

Some of the script functionallity is called from within the store so removing any references of the script within the html my not resolve the issue.

Such a pain. Maybe in 5 years we can code it the same because all browsers are then standard compliant to render such codes.

Can anyone say "HTML5"? Ugh!!! Even today's browsers do not fully support it.

It's a vicious cycle!

After a quick search, I found the solution by adding the event handler to the last (embedded) script.

It was this:

window.onload = TurnOnUpdateDiv;

The fix:

window.onload=function(){

listMenu.activateMenu("listMenuRoot", arrow);

TurnOnUpdateDiv();

}

Edited by newseed