php loops and forms help

jbwebdesign

For future reference, can you try to be clearer about exactly what you are trying to achieve? Any possible answers I give you are a bit of a shot in the dark, trying to figure out what you are trying to do.

This might get you closer:

>

Untitled Document

if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {
       $a = $_POST['apples'];
       $o = $_POST['oranges'];
       $count = 1;
       $monster = $a;

if(isset($a)){
       while($count            echo ++$count . " apples are left ";
           }
       }
       if(isset($o)){
       while($count            echo ++$count . " oranges are left ";
           }
       }
   }
   ?>

</pre>
<form action="<?php%20%24_SERVER%5B'PHP_SELF'%5D;%20?>" method="post" name="testing">
       apples: 

oranges:

</form>
<br><br><form action="" name="test">
</form>
<br><br><br

You can't immediately check for the $_POST values -- you need to make sure the form has been submitted first. I usually do that by assigning the submit button a name, and then checking if it has a value. If so, you can go ahead and grab the values.

FYI - unless you assign the checkbox a value, it will either return "on" or "".

first of all I would like to thank you very very much for your help! :D

what I am trying to do is...... I want the value inside the while loop to be returned inside the text box.....

with the code the way it is now, it returns the following......

2 apples are left 3 apples are left 4 apples are left 5 apples are left 6 apples are left 7 apples are left 8 apples are left 9 apples are left 10 apples are left 11 apples are left

I want that to be inside the text box......what am I doing wrong? how come it just says on inside the text box instead of returning the correct value??

I want that to be inside the text box......what am I doing wrong? how come it just says on inside the text box instead of returning the correct value??

Based on the way it is currently coded, "on" is actually the correct value.

-- You check the checkbox, which gives the checkbox a value of "on", and click submit

-- PHP grabs the values of the checkboxes for apples and oranges. the $a variable holds the value "on"

-- two lines down, the $monster variable gets the value of a, so it too holds the value "on."

That's the last change you do to the $monster variable, so that's what it will echo out in the form.

If you want to include the "2 apples are left 3 apples are left 4 apples are left 5 apples are left 6 apples are left 7 apples are left 8 apples are left 9 apples are left 10 apples are left 11 apples are left" text inside the form field, you will need to add it to the $monster variable, rather than echoing it out.

In that case, you'd want something along these lines:

>

Untitled Document

if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {
       $a = $_POST['apples'];
       $o = $_POST['oranges'];

$count = 1;

if(isset($a)){
           while($count                $monster = $monster . $count . " apples are left ";
               $count++;
           }
       }
       if(isset($o)){
       while($count                $monster = $monster . $count . " oranges are left ";
               $count++;
           }
       }
   }
   ?>

</pre>
<form action="<?php%20%24_SERVER%5B'PHP_SELF'%5D;%20?>" method="post" name="testing">
       apples: 

oranges:

</form>
<br><br><form action="" name="test">
</form>
<br><br><br