Shopping cart tutorial quantity won't go up start session problem

slam38

As mcChris said, this error often means you accidentally have an extra space before the session_start() function. I would check that those files above don't have any blank lines/spaces before the opening <?php tag, or possibly any blank lines / spaces after the closing ?> tag in templates.php.

As a sidenote, although the shopping cart tutorial doesn't go into this, it is sometimes a php best practice to leave out the closing PHP tag ("?>") in PHP pages -- it really isn't necessary. (This only applies to pages that are fully PHP, and include no html. You could drop the closing PHP tag on all three PHP pages above.) It's quite easy for extra spaces to end up on the end of a file, and if you're using several includes, tracking these spaces down can be a pain, especially if you're dealing with lots of files. Spaces after closing PHP tags is known to cause various issues including invalid headers like you are encountering...

Thankyou Falfencreate, and McChris,

for getting back to me I will try what you have suggested. Just as an after thought is there a specific way to find and get rid of the white space or do I just do through the file and delete where I think it might be?

Thanks again.

i uploaded my 'magic cart' to my web server for further testing and ran into this 'headers already sent' issue myself...

after following falkencreative's solutions the issue didn't resolve...then i found this: http://www.phpbuilder.com/board/showthread.php?t=10310794 ...post #8 was what caused my headers to be sent...there are other ideas there too...

Edited by mcChris