Novice frustration - browser compatibility

kaijubait

Hello all,

If this is a stupid query, I'll email everyone my address so that they can come beat me up later.

This is the site for my new magazine:

http://www.kellerwerks.com/MAT.html

It looks great in Safari, but not so great in Firefox and Explorer (which I'm assuming is what most people will be viewing it in). I'm reasonably certain this has something to do with the CSS. I made some changes to the CSS file on the local end involving the bounding box of the Container (i.e - I removed any values and changed them to 'auto')- Dreamweaver now tells me that there are supposedly no browser compatibility issues, but the results are less than desirable, and I haven't bothered loading that one to the server.

Could somebody who knows more about this tell me what I need to do? The way it looks in Safari is what I'd like to have on all browsers.

In most cases, errors like this come down to setting both a width/height and margins/padding on the same element (as you are currently doing with .twoColFixLtHdr #mainContent). In general, IE has issues defining the correct width or height of an element if that is the case. I'd suggest setting a width or height on one div, and then adding padding/margins on an element inside that div. Simplifies a lot of headaches.

Thanks for the feedback. I've removed the margins/padding from the mainContent div and placed that content inside tables within the div. Things look fine in Firefox and IE 7 now, but I'm still having issues with IE 8. Is that something I'm just going to have to live with?

Thanks for the feedback. I've removed the margins/padding from the mainContent div and placed that content inside tables within the div. Things look fine in Firefox and IE 7 now, but I'm still having issues with IE 8. Is that something I'm just going to have to live with?

IE8 is not perfect but if you have tried just about everything then you can add the IE Emulate tag in the header.

That will make IE8 browsers render IE7.