editing menu.fla to show .html pages?

watino

Hi! I'm new here & new to web design, so I apologize if this is too basic of a question. I downloaded a web template from hostgator. It has a flash menu at the top (Home, About Us, Contact Us, etc.). How do you or where do you, link the menu options to their appropriate .html files (i.e, About Us =>about us.html) so that when you click on that, it brings up that page?

I'm not completely familiar with flash but was able to edit the header.fla for the website but am not familiar with the menu.fla. I am using a trial ver of Adobe Flash CS4 (which sadly expires in a couple days). My website is www.tptotalperformance.com.

TIA,

Melissa

Thanks! I'm wondering if I'm in the wrong place or if these free templates don't even have any code. I brought up menu.fla in Adobe Flash. I then choose F9 Actions. This brings up an Actions-Frame. I locate the About Us button, for example, and there is no actions shown in the window on the right. Is this the right area? If so, what is the exact code that would need to go in there. I have the following but I'm obviously getting compiler errors as I am not well knowledgeable in flash coding:

import mx.controls.Button;

not_set_yet.addEventListener("click");

getURL("/About Us.html", "_self");

'not_yet_set' appears to be the error but I am unfamiliar with what to put in the Object or Listener boxes...

I think it is better to take the initial menu.fla file (make a clean copy of it before you do any changes) and then, selecting the button, try to find this window with action script. If you have difficulties with it, look for Flash tutorials on buttons, especially on how to getURL function working.

Flash self is written poorly in a sense that without knowing solid basics it is hard to get even right windows to show up. Nevermind the fact that they have produced many new versions which are often not compatible with each other.

Okay, googled and tweaked and I have the following code compiled w/o errors (yeah!):

bAboutUs.onRelease = function() {

};

In the "Actions - Frame" (maybe this is Action Script?) it shows under Symbol Definitions - a movie clip called MenuGfx. These are the menu items which are part of the flash. Under that are 4 buttons that correlate to the menu:

BButton,

BButton,

BButton,

BButton,

I added that code above to the bAboutUs button, saved menu.fla, and published it. Still nothing happens when I click on About Us. I apologize for my persistence but I can feel that I am so close to getting this to work and don't want to give up. :)

in this line:

do you have actual file with the title About Us.html?

The file name should be without breaks, so it should be AboutUs.html or aboutus.html or About-Us.html and so on.

though again, it seems that button self is not responds to getURL function anyway.

Again, read some tutorial on how to create buttons and write getURL for it. Try to create a button by yourself and get it working. With Flash you really need to repeat what you see in tutorials to get grip on basics.