tracking suggestions

Guest scure

Guest scure

Hi...

I need to build a site for my transportation company, in which clients would be able to track the status of their containers (kind of like fedex tracking). My clients are very few , I don't know if this matters, but maybe it makes it simpler...

Do you have any suggestions on how to do this?

I would appreciate any help/info you can provide.

thanks guys!

How you do this depends on how often the information is updated and how many shipments you have to track. So for example, if you had to do an update on a few shipments say twice a day, it may make sense to just have a web page where you would manually enter the data.

But, if you need to keep tracking information private and you have more than a handful of shipments to track, then you will need to create a tracking system where people can log in to view their data.

Needless to say, this thing can get complex depending on your needs. You may want to search for shipping tracking software on Google or Bing. You might find a shrink wrapped solution that can do the job.

If you want to learn about HOW this kinda of interactive website is built, you want to check out killerphp.com.

This particular article may help as well: database driven websites.