What software do I need to build this website?

boston

I want to build a website with an underlying database. I want the user to be able to search the database using multiple criteria to filter the results, but only the administrator (me) to be able to edit and add to the database.

I want the database to be hosted on the website and the data entry form (for me to enter the data) to be on the website. ie I want the whole thing to be hosted on an external server.

I'm using a Windows OS (XP). I have some experience with database design, mostly using Microsoft Access, but no experience of integrating this with a website. I have very limited knowledge of HTML and CSS. If I can be pointed in the right direction, then I have pretty good ability to learn new stuff. I would prefer the software to be WYSIWYG.

So what software would I need to build such a website? And what do I need my web host to provide?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

My personal suggestion would be to build the site with HTML/CSS and PHP (for database access/primary functionality) and use MySQL for the database. Your host would need to support PHP and MySQL.

Ultimately, all you have to have for this is a text editor, and probably some sort of image editor for the graphics. However, if you aren't familiar with coding by hand, it does make things more tricky. I imagine Adobe Dreamweaver has some WYSIWYG tools in place for dynamic sites, though I don't use those personally so I can't really tell you how good they are. Dreamweaver's WYSIWYG tools are quite useful for basic HTML, but I am not sure how good they are when you have to deal with a dynamic site with database interaction. Some of this stuff I don't think you can do with a WYSIWYG editor, and really just have to learn how to do some hand coding. It really isn't difficult, just takes time.

Thanks a lot for your help. I wonder if I could use a WYSIWYG editor for the bulk of the site that wouldn't need database functionality, and then just insert PHP code for the database sections into the code? I think that would save me a lot of time if it works.

Do you think I could build the database in Access and then convert it to MySQL, or would I be better off to just learn MySQL?

Thanks again.