IE layout problem

cmd

Hi there

Very new to forums...

Wondering if you can help

I had completed the site - my first site for friends of mine : [edit by admin]

And it looks as it should in all browsers except for IE...I can hear the groans from here :|

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

I can post all html and css if required but I thought some wise guys out there might know just from looking the things I should check.

Please help - thanks so much in advance!!!!

I'm no wiseguy, but I see that each container div is positioned absolutely. But there's no left, top, bottom, right offsets/coordinates set. But instead you used Margins to offset these divs.

You have to understand the CSS Box model. That every block element (div, p, style="display:block" etc) stacks on top of each other from top to bottom. Inline elements (span, a, style="display:inline" etc) stack from left to right. Absolute Positioned elements do not follow the above rules.

So you don't really need to position your divs absolutely, as they should be stacking on top of each other anyway by default.

However, if you must absolutely position elements, they are supposed to be positioned using the left or right or top or bottom coordinates, and not by Margins.

Ok I will have to let your answer filter a little more before I completely understand, but I do appreciate some insight into the background of these elements as I had no idea previously.

So thankyou!

I corrected it in the end by adding position:absolute to my footer. So that's a relief. But in the future I will try to poxition as you suggest.:)

Thanks again for your reply.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure why you would use absolute to begin with. This is a very straightforward layout, very boxy, where margins and/or padding would easily achieve your goals.

On another note, I would use text for the poster and not an image as the copy will never be indexed by the search engines.

Another note, doubling the weight of your mouse overs and increasing the font size by causes re-wrap in narrow columns, never been a fan of that.

Another, nother, note, consider adding more padding or "breathing room" for the lower portion of the page, like you did up top.

HTH

Edited by joomlavideos