Page Darkens

Graeme

Hello All,

When I view www.burnmoorcc.org.uk in IE, if I click on one of the links that open a Javascript pop up the top part of the index page goes black, this sometimes happens when if I click on part of page! I use a disable 'view source' code which is not really apt nowadays but wondered what would cause this?

Thank you as always,

Best wishes

Graeme

While I have absolutely no idea why the IE page goes black, I do wonder why you're not just using a regular link. After all, you cannot read two pages at once, and most people by now have figured out the back button. That, and the link isn't even taking you to a different site, so I don't see the point. Plus, I find it annoying to have this pretty small window open up. Makes no practical sense to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

A few things I noticed while I was there - and this one I clearly remember pointing out to you before - having the hover go white text on yellow background makes the text visually DISAPPEAR - as in I cannot even really see or read the white font on the yellow background. Is that your intention to just make the message become practically invisible? Also, the letters in the 'cricket club; are kind of hard to read with those balls as backgrounds. You could give the font a transparent background to where the balls are still somewhat visible, but the text can be read without squinting. After all, it's the words that count, the pictures are just decoration.

Also, I'm curious, what is your motivation in disabling the View Source?

Other than that, you have your doctype line mistyped - there should not be a closing slash, and it appears some of your divs aren't properly opening and closing, an dyou have two sets of closing body and html tags.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Andrea,

I forgot I posted this one! My apologies for not getting back sooner, I thought I had ticked e-mail notification.

I used a Javascriptopen window for the teams as I can't see the point of having a whole page with just a few lines of text although I understand about the back button. It seems to work though.

The hovering over the text is OK as you can read the link text before hovering! I'll alter the top banner, I agree it's the words that count.

I'm not too sure about the disabling the View Source, I think it was back in the day when it semed popular! Not too sure what you mean about the doctype?

I still can't figure out my origional problem, it's frustrating, it doesn't seem to happen in any other browser on my PC. I wonder if it's a problem with my IE9.

Best wishes

Graeme

I get the blackening viewing with IE10. I'd guess it's something in the Javascript code itself. I probably couldn't help you with that, I don't know JavaScript, but looking at your code, it seems that in your head section, you have TWO Javascripts for the pop-up window, and you have two 'Codelifter' scripts. I'm assuming the codelifter is preventing the View source. I'd get rid of both, but if you insist, at least get rid of one. I imagine havign 2 may cause some conflict.

The same with the pop up codes. You have

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">function openwin(UrlName) {
  var WinId = window.open(UrlName, 'new_window', 'toolbar=no,directories=no,menubar=no,status=no,resizable=no,copyhistory=no,scrollbars=yes,width=800,height=400,marginwidth=0,marginheight=0')
}
</SCRIPT>

and just above your closing head tag, there is this:

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">function openwin(UrlName) {
  var WinId = window.open(UrlName, 'new_window', 'toolbar=no,directories=no,menubar=no,status=no,resizable=no,copyhistory=no,scrollbars=yes,width=600,height=400,marginwidth=0,marginheight=0')
}
</SCRIPT>

See if getting rid of one fixes your IE problem. If not, find a different script.

Again, I don't 'speak' JavaScript, but this is what I see, and I think it's worth a try.

You have a closing slash in your doctype declaration that does not belong there. I don't know if that may or may not cause any problems, but might as well do it right, right? And who knows, maybe that will fix your IE issue. Won't know until you try.

Btw - you also have a duplicate set of html and body closing tags at the bottom. Fix all your code, validate, get rid of the duplicate scripts, and then see if you're still having issues.