Validating embedded Flash Video

edoplaza

Hello,

My whole new site validates on strict HTML except for two Flash Videos embedded in the front page, which are becoming a real nightmare. Should I worry about them? I'm getting frustrated because I find it too hard and cumbersome to correct the errors I'm getting when trying to validate.

Any suggestions? (and please don't tell me "get rid of the videos" :))

Thanks

Eduardo

If it's only a nested embed tag and embed attributes that don't validate, don't be worried. Even very large professional sites like YouTube still use the embed tag because it works on old browsers which are not flash-ready and Firefox often seems to need the embed tag.

Validation is just a tool, not a definitive requirement, if your page works and validates in all other respects, forget it.

Eric's solution doesn't use the embed tag but there may be certain browsers which don't process his code (edit: until a person downloads the flash plugin, causing a delay to the viewing of the video), but his code works on my browsers. The embed tag means a viewer doesn't have to have a flash-ready computer and doesn't have a delay while downloading a plugin, so there's a choice to be made between validation and immediate viewing on some browsers.

Edited by Wickham

Embed is not HTML, it is a tag some company thought up. But well supported.

Object is HTML... but not well supported.

Flash is to much of a hassle to validate, not worth the effort. It is the one validation point I would say ignore.