Basic questions for php/mysql

Guest Cashster09

Guest Cashster09

Hi there,

I watched the php beginner videos and they were great but then i went to w3schools.com and tried to get some more information and of course now i'm confused.

I've read some other tutorials and they say have mysql installed....If i install WAMP does that cover me?

If so,

If i use Wamp and use phpmyadmin to create a database (havent downloaded it yet), I noticed on the videos when phpmyadmin was open that there was a link to create php code...Is that to create the code for the database?

I'm just trying to understand how this all relates together.

ARe there any other videos or websites i can go to that can walk me thru all this stuff? Baby steps.

thanks

Rich

Edited by Cashster09

XAMPP installs Apache, php, mysql, phpmyadmin and several other packages for you.

I have never installed WAMPP, but I'm fairly certain that they also install the required packages as a one-click installer similar to XAMPP.

As for phpmyadmin creating php code, you will usually find that the 'create php code' selection is available on each step *after* you do something. You need to create any new databases yourself on the front page of phpmyadmin. They provide some sample databases, usually, and each install (should) include a 'test' database named 'test'.

For example, when you run phpmyadmin, and select a Database from the left hand column, then a table from the left hand column, it displays the table contents. The php code is available for the mysql query that is used to display the Table contents.

Likewise, after you use the Browse button, or after you enter some SQL code, it provides the option to have the php code displayed so that you can cut and paste it elsewhere.

As a 'beginner', it would be wise to install either WAMP or XAMPP since they remove many of the issues you would have by installing the components yourself.

After the package is installed, play around with the features. You really can't lose anything at the start. The worst thing might be having to re-install the whole thing, but not a biggie.

Guest Cashster09

Also,

I have started viewing some other tutorials from VTC.com

They dont use wamp, but the mysql monitor. I guess its learning the mysql by "scratch"?

How do i get this mysql monitor?

Edited by Cashster09

Hi there :)

Erm, if I were you, I'd forget about vtc, and go check out lynda dot com. Also, you'll still have to download MySQL in-order to use this 'mysql monitor'. There's something similar on the Mac called Terminal, which I'm reluctant to use, mostly because I have to use its command line, user un-friendly interface in-order to tell mysql how I want my tables to look, and also I'm only a beginner too.

I'm sure there are other resources out there that will assist you in covering what you'll need in-order to download either WAMP or XAMPP. But, as a newbie you'll want to be absolutely sure that you are doing it the right way, so like I say, go check out that lynda url.

I haven't as yet done an awful lot with mysql, as I'm still getting to grips with the very, very basics of php. Just familiarizing myself with it is a start... Knowing how to manipulate it is a whole different ball game. :rolleyes: