How do I make my page fill any size monitor?

Guest micmouse33

Guest micmouse33

Hi, I read a post somewhere on this forum but can't find it now. I am trying to figure out how to make my website change size according to other people's monitor sizes. I saw my site yesterday on a really large monitor and it looked terrible. I am fairly new to web design and still learning.

The post I was reading was talking about making the page "fluid" or something like that, and said I had to change something in the code to 100% rather than a defined number of pixles. Can someone help me out in a bit more detail...like beginners terms lol.

Thanks to anyone who can assist. :D

Essentially you make all element widths a percentage so that all of them in a row plus padding and margins all have % widths and add up to 100%; except that borders cannot be % widths so you may have to make the total 99% or 98% to allow for borders in px.

Images can be resized with % widths too; if you don't state a height then the image heights will be resized in proportion.

It's not easy and you may find that your page looks very squashed up at 500px resolution or too spaced out at 1920px resolution, but modern browsers can be set with max-width and min-width which helps.

• 3 years later...