Retreiveing data from array

phptek

Hi Can you let me know how to assign values from the query below:

public function getUser($username, $password)

{

$row = $this->fetchAll("username = '$username' AND password = '$password' AND role ='admin'");

return $row->toArray();

}

getUser function will return the data in an array.

How do I set each value from this array into each variable.

$uname = username value from array

$role = role value from array

Thanks a lot.

do you need to set this rowset to an array? I used to do this a lot when I was learning, just because i knew arrays better than objects, but if you dont need to, I would remove the ->toArray() when your returning.

When you use fetchAll() your setting yourself up to retrieve more than 1 row if the condition are met. If more than one is returned this example could produce unexpected results;

As an Array():

(not sure what you've assigned getUser() to, but lets say its $rows)

$rows = $this>getUser($username, $password);

$uname = $rows['username']; //replace 'username' with the name of your database column.
$role = $rows['role']; //replace 'role' with whatever the column name is to get the value. 

//your array contains the databse column names as the array keys and the values as your array values.  Play with var_dump($rows); and refresh to see everything contained.

As an object / rowset (omitting the toArray();)

$uname = $rows->username;//replace 'username' with the name of your database column.
$role = $rows->role; //replace 'role' with whatever the column name is to get the value. 

//leaving as a rowset you keep yourself open to doing other functions to your results, whereas as an array, you are more limited.

Like I said, if your $rows has more than one result brought from the SQL query this wont work, since each result will be in its own array (multi-dimensional array). use fetchRow() instead of fetchAll() when selecting if you only want / expect one result.

do you need to set this rowset to an array? I used to do this a lot when I was learning, just because i knew arrays better than objects, but if you dont need to, I would remove the ->toArray() when your returning.

When you use fetchAll() your setting yourself up to retrieve more than 1 row if the condition are met. If more than one is returned this example could produce unexpected results;

As an Array():

(not sure what you've assigned getUser() to, but lets say its $rows)

$uname = $rows['username']; //replace 'username' with the name of your database column.
$role = $rows['role']; //replace 'role' with whatever the column name is to get the value. 

//your array contains the databse column names as the array keys and the values as your array values.  Play with var_dump($rows); and refresh to see everything contained.

As an object / rowset (omitting the toArray();)

$uname = $rows->username;//replace 'username' with the name of your database column.
$role = $rows->role; //replace 'role' with whatever the column name is to get the value. 

//leaving as a rowset you keep yourself open to doing other functions to your results, whereas as an array, you are more limited.

Like I said, if your $rows has more than one result brought from the SQL query this wont work, since each result will be in its own array (multi-dimensional array). use fetchRow() instead of fetchAll() when selecting if you only want / expect one result.

Thanks a lot. Will test it out.