Question about CMS tutorial

Jeffy

Recently got the CMS tutorial and I am gettting a bit lost after the 5th video. Apparently video 5-14 is an older tutorial which later is combined with the CMS one. What confuses me is that there is no explanation on what files we do start with and what I am supposed to follow from scratch.

Also how does one connect the Site to a local server? I installed WAMP and was able to follow the part with modifying the database. But how to hook it to my site? (Dreamweaver specific)

In regards to your first question: Yes, videos 5-14 are from an older video series, and I didn't want to have to completely rerecord those videos for no reason if I was going to be basing a lot of the CMS series on the exact results that the previous videos showed. When you start video 5, put the files you have previously created in videos 1-4 aside, start fresh with a new empty folder, and then video 15 will explain how to integrate/organize the files from the videos. Make sense?

Correct, start with a new folder. In video 6 near the beginning of the video, I cover the basic file structure for videos 5 through 14. If I don't tell you otherwise, all those files are initially empty, or only contain a basic PHP comment at the start of the file. I believe the only exceptions to that rule are the temp.php file (that I use initially when setting up the database) and the stylesheet, which (if I remember correctly) I suggest you pause the video to copy the CSS code.

You should have a zip file with the source files from videos 1-14 (it should be called "phpcms-parts114.zip"), so you can reference that if you want to compare the file structures.

I think that cleared it up, thanks. Anyway, I got to video No. 17 and when previewing the site appears to work but I am getting this error:

Warning: mysqli::mysqli() [mysqli.mysqli]: (28000/1045): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in C:\wamp\www\cmstest\app\core\core.php on line 14

and then at the bottom of the page:

Warning: mysqli::close() [mysqli.close]: Couldn't fetch mysqli in C:\wamp\www\cmstest\app\core\core.php on line 37

I assume this error is related to database access and not to the tutorial. Where can I find info to get this issue fixed? I am using WAMP on Windows Vista with admin rights btw.

Where exactly do I set with what name I access the database? I did a basic install of WAMP and never fiddled with usernames or privileges. As far as I am concerned I basically just fired up WAMP, placed my site into its www folder and pressed preview on my IDE to preview the page.

This is my root user as found in the privileges.

root localhost No ALL PRIVILEGES Yes