GD -> base64 without a temp file?

dafydd

Good Morning!

Context: I'm batch exporting a set of user data that includes user pictures. Of course, the recipient of the batch wants the pictures almost square, while I get & save the pictures in a 3:4 ratio.[1]

The issue: I'm batch exporting as XML using SimpleXML. All the data is text, except for the user pictures. I need to encode them as base64. (I tried uuencode. It uses angle brackets as coding characters. The results were ... interesting, in an XML file.) Now, if I were just encoding the picture files, well and good. But, I have to put vertical black bars on either side of my pictures to meet the ~.90 ratio requirements of the export recipient.

In GD, adding the bars is trivial. The hard part is going from the GD image object to a base64 encoding.

I can't find any way to do it that doesn't involve saving the GD image to a temp file and then encoding that file. Has anyone else run into this? An ideas how I can directly encode a GD image object?

Thanks!

dafydd

[1] - If standard digicam formats run to 3:4 (portrait orientation), why should I make my users' lives harder by forcing them to crop their pictures?