Need help with Dynamic Tables

adam1972

I've mixed in some of Stefan's code to create a query:

include ("Homes.Conn.php");

include ("Tables_Includes.php");

$query = "SELECT * FROM 20mileradius WHERE $my_column LIKE '$my_query'";

$result = mysql_query($query);

$my_rows;

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC))

{

$my_rows = $my_rows . "

Name : {$row['City']} "."id : {$row['Beds']} ";

}

?>

and then echoeing them into a table like Stefan suggested....

What I'm wanting to do is create a query where the user can dynamically select what columns from the query results will be displayed on a table (there are currently 49 colums of data and bound to increase).

I've looked into changing the query into using a variable from a list instead of the "SELECT *" I'm currently using, but I don't know how to pass the data checked off on a multiple select list on the query form( via an array? using _post) to the search results page.

I've also played with creating check boxes on the query form (for all 49 + columns) and then creating variables for each checkbox... and then trying to use if statements while creating a table to control which gets echoe'd to the screen.... I've run into a brick wall.. my head hurts.....

Does anyone have any good suggestions???????? Please?

What and how would be the easiest way to let the user control the columns that get placed onto the query results table instead of just spitting out every column? :o

Edited by adam1972

i'm not sure I understand what you mean but it seems like your trying to make a content management system.....

why don't you just create a page with check boxes and give each check box a name..... for ex::

//define the vars for your check boxes

$ch1 = $_POST['ch1'];

check box 1

and then you use the variable $ch1 to your advantage for example

if($ch1!="checked"){

//create a var that will be equal to ch1 within your query for example

$check1 = "City";

}

so now what happens is that when you decide to create your query you can include the variable $check1 which also equals City

which is one of your columns inside your database.

I'm not sure if this will help or not but I hope it does

Thanks for the help jbwebdesign,

I tried that route, I found that I actually need an array since I want to use the reults as avariable with the "SELECT" command in a query. I started a new a new thread to help me with converting the array into a string without the extra trailing comma I keep getting (removing the last character deletes ALL commas). If you have any ideas on a different dirction other than this I would sincerely and greatly appreciate the help :)