IE6

virtual

Do you still write stylesheets or CC for IE6 or IE?

Do you use CSS3 markup knowing that it doesn't work in IE or do you have a work around for IE users?

Do you add a js or other warning to IE6 users or do you just ignore them?

I know a lot of people will reply that it depends on your target audience, but what are the actual statistics?

Do you still write stylesheets or CC for IE6 or IE?

I do not because the IE6 market share is around 3%. I quit coding it when it fell under 5%. If a client has a target audience of IE6 then I inform them that it's an additional fee to support a old version.

Do you use CSS3 markup knowing that it doesn't work in IE or do you have a work around for IE users?

If you are going to use CSS3 markup than you may want to provide an alternative (conditional comment) for IE7 and IE8. IE6 again I don't mess with. Keep in mind that other browsers do not support some of the CSS3 markups as well. Most are older versions (i.e. Firefox 3.6 or earlier, etc.). So again, you may have to provide an alternative for those browsers if they don't display the CSS3 markup correctly.

Do you add a js or other warning to IE6 users or do you just ignore them?

Yes. I prefer the js that detects IE6 browser which will then post a notice that the site may not render correctly using that broswer version. You can google it and find several options that you can use.

I know a lot of people will reply that it depends on your target audience, but what are the actual statistics?

You can use W3 Counter which is the closes thing where stats are not bias.

ie6 user base is low but it is still twice as high as apple iOS. So if you look at in terms like that yes I still code for ie6. I do not use CC's I instead just use *html or *+html for ie7. Which ever thingy moduger I use must work in all because ie accounts for 60% of the web. Of course little things that don't matter a little css3 I'll use.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I understand Eddie why you don't code for it anymore as you build very large complicated sites. Mine are much smaller and usually work cross browser right off, except for IE6 and that's often the float and double margin bug. I usually write a separate style sheet for IE6 as it's not a big fix.

Recently I have been running into trouble using Jquery for navigation and sliders and then trying to add a pngfix for IE6. So in that case I add a Js warning and don't bother with the pngfix.