Help a novice :)

ali_the_student

Hi everyone!

Let me start by introducing myself. My name's Ali, i'm a student (duh :P) from Scotland reading business management. I have had an idea for a hobby website that also has the potential to net me a bit of pocket-money for my studies.

Before I ask away, I'd like to say how amazing this website is and to thank the people that answer basic questions like mine. Without knowing there was help out there from website like this one, i'm pretty confident I would never have the displacement to go on and attempt to make a website :)

Also, I apologise in advance if asking about domains and not web-design is not allowed here, I did read the forum rules and such.

This evening I typed my desired domain into my web-browser and it redirected me to a website with a different domain name. Now when I am trying, it says that the URL is not found on Google servers. I am concerned that by searching for the domain on a website (albeit only once or twice) it has now been bought and will now be on sale for a higher price.

What does it mean by saying "404 not found. The requested URL was not found on this server" when it was there only an hour ago?

I see that purchasing a domain name works on a yearly basis. Say my website does start to generate a bit of money, will the renewal price sky-rocket?

By renting a domain, do I actually own it or can these organisations just remove it from me as they please?

Ideally I would like to own my domain and a bit of advice on the best approach to take would be great, or even recommending the best site to purchase/rent a domain would be amazing.

Hopefully people with a bit of experience will be able to answer this:

What is the best order in which to go about creating a website. I was considering drawing it on pen and paper, laying it out etc. Then purchasing the domain and hosting, designing, testing, then launch?

Thanks for any help you can give, I appreciate any comments

Ali x

Welcome to the forum!

1) Based on your comments, it sounds like the domain name you want might actually be already taken. Usually if you get a redirect or 404 error message rather than a "website can't be found" message, this means the domain is in use. Hard to say without testing it myself though, since I may be confused by the way you are explaining things. To check this, you can check domain name availability on whois.net or http://www.pcnames.com/ (or any other service that offers this -- those are just two I like.)

I am concerned that by searching for the domain on a website (albeit only once or twice) it has now been bought and will now be on sale for a higher price.

That shouldn't be an issue, though I can't guarantee anything. There is nothing to say that someone elsewhere decided to register the domain name since you initially looked at it though (unconnected with you searching for that domain.)

2) It shouldn't. The amount of money the site make doesn't affect renewal price (and the host shouldn't ever see how much money you are earning from the site.) You aren't actually "renting" the domain, you do own it for that yearly period. At the end of that period, you have the option to renew and continue owning it, or give up ownership if you no longer need it. Domains can't be arbitrarily taken over, unless by copyright dispute or government action or similar.

3) I would actually purchase the domain name first, then start planning/developing the website. Open domains are available to anyone, so just because the domain you want is available today doesn't mean someone won't register it tomorrow.

Really the only advice I have regarding domains is to purchase the domains from a company other than the one you get web hosting from. This prevents issues in case you have problems with your host, and means the host can't hold the domain hostage for some reason. This shouldn't be an issue if your host is a reputable company, but I tend to prefer to be safe rather than sorry. I personally stay away from GoDaddy, since I find their website is extremely confusing to navigate and tries to upsell you on every little item. I tend to buy my domains through http://1and1.com/ (that's personal preference though -- there are a lot of sites that offer this.)

Brilliant, I have just purchased my new domain name.. well almost!!

I am choosing to go via 123-reg.co.uk.

Last question before I go ahead and make the leap --

It is wanting to upsell me an email address. Is it best to purchase it for £1 per month ($2?) or is there another method? I would of thought if you'd owned the domain you could just create email, guess not!

Ali x

Edited by ali_the_student

You will need a ftp program to upload page code to your future hosting service. I made some notes here:-

http://www.wickham43.net/generaladvice.php#hosting

Your hosting service will probably allow you several email addresses. Look at Dataflame and start by looking at the basic package:-

http://www.dataflame.co.uk/linux_hosting_plans.php?lid=1

As a beginner you would use a shared package to minimise cost. Use a Linux package in case you want to code PHP in future (it doesn't matter whether you have a Windows OS or Linux on your computer, it's what the server uses that matters).

I use Dataflame, a better shared package, they seem reliable but don't just accept what I say without looking at other providers.

The price of the domain name won't change according to the success of your site, but the hosting service might need upgrading (but that is easy and probably some time in the future). You own the domain name for ever, as long as you keep paying for it, so your email addresses will stay the same even if you change host and/or ISP.

What is the best order in which to go about creating a website. I was considering drawing it on pen and paper, laying it out etc. Then purchasing the domain and hosting, designing, testing, then launch?

By all means sketch out the general arrangement with blocked colours, header, logo, menu, content (perhaps in columns) and footer. Then start coding. Dreamweaver is very expensive and using the automatic design view you won't learn anything, so try ordinary Notepad and code manually (don't use Word which carries special function swith certin characters) or use a better text editor like Notepad++ which you can download.

Look at http://www.w3schools.com/ Learn HTML (top left link).

Validate your code at http://validator.w3.org/

Away you go!