navigation menus / different browsers

catfish

For a while there I was checking my websites at browsershots.org then I sort of forgot about it. Now working on a new site I was informed that the menu is wonky. Here is a screenshot with IE 7 on XP.

dea7a3b808a94c92c9173a4e706638eb.png

I did test it on IE 8, safari and opera. The problem is when something like this happens I really have no idea how to fix it other than to use a different menu. Code below.

<style type="text/css"> 
#info {padding-bottom:150px;}

.images {background:#c00; width:20px; height:20px; padding:1px;}
#nav {margin-top:50px;}
#nav ul {margin:0 auto 100px auto; padding:0; list-style:none; display:table; white-space:nowrap; font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
#nav li {display:table-cell; margin:0; padding:0;}
#nav a {float:left; color:#fff; background: #040 url(left2.gif) no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 2px 0 0; padding:0 0 0 2px; text-decoration:none; letter-spacing:1px;}
#nav a b {float:left; display:block; background:transparent url(right2.gif) no-repeat right bottom; padding:5px 16px 5px 12px;}
#nav a:hover {background-color:#6f9c6f; cursor:pointer;} 
#nav #current a {background-color:#6f9c6f;} 
#nav {padding:1px 0 0 0; background:#fff; border-top:8px solid #040;}
</style>

<!--[if IE]>
<style type="text/css">
#nav ul {display:inline-block;}
#nav ul {display:inline;}
#nav ul li {float:left;}
#nav {text-align:center;}
</style>
<![endif]-->

html code

<div id="info"> 
<div id="nav">
<ul>
<li id="current"><a href="centered_float_left.html?current=one"><b>HOME PAGE</b></a></li>
<li><a href="centered_float_left.html?current=two"><b>FOOD 1</b></a></li>
<li><a href="centered_float_left.html?current=three"><b>FOOD 2</b></a></li>
<li><a href="centered_float_left.html?current=four"><b>SHIPPING/CONTACT</b></a></li>
<li><a href="centered_float_left.html?current=five"><b>ABOUT US</b></a></li>
<li><a href="centered_float_left.html?current=six"><b>FAQ'S</b></a></li>
<li><a href="centered_float_left.html?current=seven"><b>CUSTOMER CORNER</b></a></li>
<li><a href="centered_float_left.html?current=eight"><b>LINKS</b></a></li>
</ul>
</div>
</div>

And the website is...

http://www.avianorganics.com/Newdesign/index.html?current=one

Thanks, I appreciate any input :unsure:

I'm not sure why you are using "table-cell":

#nav li {display:table-cell; margin:0; padding:0;}

I would suggest removing "display:table-cell;" and using "float:left;" instead (and removing "display:table;" from the <ul> as well.) You could then drop this line from your IE conditional comment:

(which, by the way, says "float:none" in your actual site).

If you use "float:left" you can basically remove the IE conditional comment entirely. There really is no need for a conditional comment on something simple like this.

I don't normally code menus with display: table for the ul tag and display: table-cell for the li tag but if it works, leave the general styles and edit only the conditional comment for IE. The float: left; for the li tag is correct, so I suggest editing the ul tag (there are two conflicting styles at present):-

<!--[if IE]>
<style type="text/css">
#nav ul {display: block; /*display:inline-block;*/}
/*#nav ul {display:inline;}*/
</style>
<![endif]-->

Edit: my post is the same time as Ben's and we basically say the same thing, but he suggests editing the general styles instead.

Edited by Wickham

I don't normally code menus with display: table for the ul tag and display: table-cell for the li tag but if it works, leave the general styles and edit only the conditional comment for IE. The float: left; for the li tag is correct, so I suggest editing the ul tag (there are two conflicting styles at present):-

<!--[if IE]>
<style type="text/css">
#nav ul {display: block; /*display:inline-block;*/}
/*#nav ul {display:inline;}*/
</style>
<![endif]-->

Thankyou both for the quick replies. I liked the look of the menu. It is Stu Nicholls CSSPlay and so I just copied that code. I read your replies again and do some changes. I'll let you know how I make out if you don't mind. Thankyou again.

Edit: my post is the same time as Ben's and we basically say the same thing, but he suggests editing the general styles instead.