Unable to create new text editor for each html page when using MAC

glennmello

My PC wont allow me to play the MOV files downloaded in the Web Design series so i have resulted in using a Mac which i am not familiar with. in video 10 in the Web Design series i have been asked to make copy of the index html file and make 3 other html files which seems to be straight forward. What i cannot figure out is how the instructor created the new "text edit" files ie /Tutorial/CSS and Product Line and how he quickly jumps between them. I tried to just make a copy of the index file in text edit, by using "save as", however i was not successful. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you not install Quicktime? That would allow you to view the videos on your PC. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

And, when you say you are "not successful," can you clarify? You can't create the file?

Hi Ben,

Thank you very much for taking the time to help out.

My PC has quicktime on it and i tried to run the mov. courses on it however an error did pop up. I think quicktime on my PC is not the latest release. The videos work fine on the Mac laptop which is how i have been able to go through the course. I would like to try the courses on the PC as i am a bit more comfortable navigating my way around than on the Mac.

When i mention that i was not successful creating a new file in text edit (MAC), the reason was that the new text edit file seemed to be in a different format from the format i had initially used in the text editor to type out the html code. The new format in the text edit program no longer shows the tags etc and the back ground screen is grey.

Thanks in advance for your help.

You are using TextEdit to work with the files, correct? If so, double check that you are working in plain text mode by going to Textmate > Preferences and making sure the "Plain Text" option is selected when creating new documents.

I think that may be the problem?

Hi Ben,

The original Index file i had was set to plain text in TextEdit. I went into one of the other TextEdit files which did not have the tags showing and changed the format to plain text but this did not seem to do anything.

- Should i be creating a new file in TextEdit for each new HTML page of the site?

- I went into TextEdit and created a new file and cut and paste the file Index.html TextEdit file which is working correctly and i think this might do the trick.