VERIO-windows based server and PHP problem

Ant

I'm trying to get my index.php file to be recognized on what Verio(web host company) told me is presently a windows based server.

After trying I was told windows based servers don't handle php files very well and sometimes not at all.

They told me to call sales and have my server changed to a unix or linux based system.

Can anyone confirm this is correct before I go about trying to get my friends service on Verio changed to a different type of server.

Thanks

Ant

Some good windows host companies can handle php very well but most I know of are not cheap service because they are manually configured by host/developers for various reasons.

If your host doesn't support it well then asking them to change it over to linux is not a problem. Nothing should change in the Cpanel or the domain name and it's files.

However, if you have programs/software that is .asp specific then you will need to find other alternatives to replace them. If you have simple .asp pages that just uses .asp SSI includes you will then need to replace those using .php SSI includes and rename the pages to .php .

Thanks guys.

I called verio and they are setting up a Linux virtual server.

Once I transfer all my files etc and am happy with the new server I will need to cancel the service on the old windows server where the site presently resides.

I hope this all works.

Thanks again,

Ant