calculating last array element

ll87

I am using array_slice in PHP to hold 12 elements, as there are 12 images per page on my site. However, now that I have moved over to this method, I can no longer see whether or not there are any images remaining and therefore whether there should be a Next hyperlink.

Before i was using readdir and the pointer was always on the next image so it was easy, but now that i am putting all images into one array in one go, i can no longer do it this way. any help?

if($skip != 0){
           $has_previous = true;
       }

while(($file = readdir($handle)) != false){ //read in all files.
           $extension = strtolower(substr(strrchr($file, '.'), 1)); //Read string after the . and get substring from the .
           if($file != '.' || $file != '..'){
               if($extension == 'jpg' || $extension == 'jpeg' || $extension == 'JPG'){
                   $all_images[] = $file; //add file to array.
               }
           }
       }

sort($all_images); //sort array alphabetically.
       $photos = array_slice($all_images,$skip,$per_page); //contains 12 images for each page, in order.

//code here to process images.

basically i only need the last array slice and then i can get the last element and say if there are any images left, if not dont add a Next link.

sample gallery at www.alexbarron.co.uk/galleries.php?trip=Leaving_do

Hmm yeah although you can get array_slice to work as you want with help of some nifty mathematical expression to get it to slice well even at the end of the array. I think you might be better using a different function to cut the array into pieces of 12 that requires a lot less effort.

check out the array_chunk() function instead, this will spare you of some variables that you are using right now.

example of splitting an array into chunks of 12:

$input = array("a", "b", "c", "d", "e", "f", "g", "h", "i", "j", "k", "l", "m", "n", "o");

$new = array_chunk($input, 12);

to get the amount of pages you have, perhaps save it in a variable pages simply do:

$pages = count($new);

$new is a multidimensional array:

$new[rows][cols] where in your case rows = page and cols = images

So in my example we got two 2 pages: 1st has 12 elements and 2nd has the rest.

So if you don't have an ammount that devides evenly with 12 then your last chunk ( the last row ) will not have 12 elements in it, something you need to pay attention to when you loop through to not end up outside its bounderies causing a out of bounds error. but that is easily done with some control statements.